Making Cds From Mini Disk Recordings

Dave Gray

I've started this as a new topic as I may have inadvertently hijacked Morgana's post by responding to an issue Alan had with regard to transfering data over USB to make CDs from Minidisk recordings.

Since the original post I have run Sony's latest SonicStage software (SonicStage 3.1) to down load the software click here Down Load SonicStage 3.1 . It has the WAV generation tool incorporated (so there is no need to run two programs) and will automatically make a WAV copy of the recording if you want to when you import. You can also very easily make CDs direct from SonicStage (Audio CDs, ATRAC CDs or MP3 Cs). However, one of the issues I have with SonicStage is that it will only allow you to transfer the recordings once to your computer.

Does anyone else have any suggestions with regard to using SonicStage or any other software for making CDs from Mini Disk recordings?

Dave

Here's my original post which is applicable to version 2.x of SonicStage:

"Alan,

It is possible to transfer via the USB port. I have the MZ-NHF800 Sony Mini Disc recorder and regularly transfer to CD via USB (you didn't mention which one you had but I'm sure you can still transfer).

First you'll need to download the WAV conversion tool from the Sony Support & Registration site.

1. Transfer the audio into the Sonic Stage software.

2. After transfering the audio close the Sonic Stage software.

3. Open the WAV conversion tool.

4. Convert the recordings into WAV files (make note of which directory you put them in).

5. Open the Sonic Sage software.

6. Import the WAV files you have just generated into Sonic Stage.

7. After the WAV files have been imported you can create the CD.

The above works OK when running Windows XP.

There is a new version of Sonic Stage (Sonic Stage 3.1). It is supposed to allow you to burn CDs for personal use and it has also eliminated the check-out limits, you can find this at: Sonic Stage 3.1

Although I have down loaded the new version of Sonic Stage I have not tried it yet, so your millage may vary.

Hope this works for you,"

I've started this as a new topic as I may have inadvertently hijacked Morgana's post by responding to an issue Alan had with regard to transfering data over USB to make CDs from Minidisk recordings.

Since the original post I have run Sony's latest SonicStage software (SonicStage 3.1) to down load the software click here Down Load SonicStage 3.1 . It has the WAV generation tool incorporated (so there is no need to run two programs) and will automatically make a WAV copy of the recording if you want to when you import. You can also very easily make CDs direct from SonicStage (Audio CDs, ATRAC CDs or MP3 Cs). However, one of the issues I have with SonicStage is that it will only allow you to transfer the recordings once to your computer.

Dave

I've been using a minidisc recorder and sonic stage for making session recordings (to learn the tunes) and as far as I know, there's no easy way round the "one upload only" ... and no other software around for linking to the minidisc recorder.

However, once you have a WAV you can burn any number of CDs using any software you like (I usually use the stuff that came with the CD recorder.)

I usually archive the stuff I want to keep onto CD and delete the original. (I can always record from CD player back to MD if I want extra MD copies)

There is some alternative software for making WAVS from the files in sonic stage (Marc's HiMD renderer works well).

There is a Minidisc forum (run on the same software as this forum) at

MD Forum

They get very geeky though!

Chris J.

I must admit I've never got round to installing Sonic Stage, I've always used analogue - that is plugging the line out into the PC and using Total Recorder to create the wav file. In theory you lose some quality, in practice it is not (at least to my ears) audible.

Chris

Chris,

one thing I find useful with Sonic Stage is that it allows you to edit the tracks on the Mini Disk recorder, (move tracks up/down, move from/to groups, delete, rename etc.) it saves having to enter the data with the jog lever.

Dave

one thing I find useful with Sonic Stage is that it allows you to edit the tracks on the Mini Disk recorder, (move tracks up/down, move from/to groups, delete, rename etc.) it saves having to enter the data with the jog lever.

Maybe 3.1 is more stable, but I've heard hairy things about Sonic Stage trashing minidiscs during edit operations. Anyway, it wouldn't help, because I just leave the recorder running during a session (i.e. one huge track), then listen to it later and record the tunes I want onto the PC as they go past, ready for burning to CD. As I only use it as a recorder for live music, it makes sense for me.

Chris

Maybe 3.1 is more stable, but I've heard hairy things about Sonic Stage trashing minidiscs during edit operations. Anyway, it wouldn't help, because I just leave the recorder running during a session (i.e. one huge track), then listen to it later and record the tunes I want onto the PC as they go past, ready for burning to CD. As I only use it as a recorder for live music, it makes sense for me.

Chris

Anything has to be better than the jog lever!

It looks like 2.1 was pretty buggy, and especially good at trashing LONG tracks - ie the sort you get from running the recorder for a session (Yes that's what I do too). It looks like 2.1 fixed that and I gather 3.x is OK.

However you control it though - the MD is handy for getting hours of reasonably good quality sound recording without too much hassle. It's made a load of difference to my playing in the local session - there's a subset of regular tunes that I can now play along with quite respectably.

Chris

Dave:

Thanks for the very useful tips and setting up this informative topic. I downloaded the latest version of Sonic Stage but am still working on it. The transfer from a MD seemed to be operating fine, then halted. I think I may have to adjust some of the settings. If that doesn't work I will try the alternative that you suggested. It will be extremely helpful to be able to carry forward the same tracks, etc. Also, I think there is a noticable degradation in sound quality when I do it the "old fashioned" way of using the MD headphones as the output and input to the computer. When I was in Ireland I recorded Danny Boy being sung in a session by a person with a daughter here in Boston and I want to make a good copy for the daughter. The MD version is excellent, but my original "old fashioned" download was tinny. As a sidelight, it is worth noting that the woman singing was the wife of Gerry Lynch of Kilfenora Ceoli background, and he was accompanying on the accordian.

Alan

Dave:

Thanks for the very useful tips and setting up this informative topic.  I downloaded the latest version of Sonic Stage but am still working on it.  The transfer from a MD seemed to be operating fine, then halted. ....

BE CAREFUL HERE - if you try to download it again, SS may delete the original under a "2 strikes and you're out!"

The MD forums recommend doing either a headphone/lineout -> computer as you've been doing already, or a good way to get a better quality transfer is to PLAY the recording with sonic stage, meanwhile turn on whatever recording software you have on the computer and point it at the right sound source (on mine I change in from Line In to SUM). This should bypass a few stages of conversion and amplifiers and also reduce the risk of SS trashing a vital one off recording.

Chris