Cormac Begley's Bass concertina album

Last night I was at a modern dance performance, MÁM by Teac Damsa. It's a production completely devised, created and produced in the Corca Dhuinhne Gaeltacht. Twelve international contemporary dancers, seven musicians from the Berlin based Stargaze collective and concertina player Cormac Begley.  The performance is shaped around the musical heritage of Corca Duibhne, personified by Cormac Begley.

Wonderful, intense performance of 80 minutes (without break). With a minutes long standing ovation at the  end.

They're touring Ireland for another month.

DSC-9126-small.jpgDSC-9150-small.jpgDSC-9164-small.jpg

At the venue some of Begley's recordings were available, including his latest, all Bass concertina album 'B'. I had heard it was coming but hadn't come across it yet.  It desrves a mention here as it is probably the first all bass concertina album.

Like (the collector's version) of his earlier recording, the cover is shaped like the concertina, inside more images of the inside of the instrument. Recommended. If you're into that sort of thing, ofcourse.

DSC-9171-small.jpg

Edited by Peter Laban
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Peter Laban said:

Like (the collector's version) of his earlier recording, the cover is shaped like the concertina, inside more images of the inside of the instrument. Recommended. If you're into that sort of thing, ofcourse.

I recommend it too. And the cover is slightly larger than his previous album.

ssR0014171.jpg.bbed0f671f723fd7fda0bf781ef53cc4.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Last night RTE aired a flim about the the dance show I mentioned above, Mám. It concentrates on the creative process and the dance, improvising and pulling everything together. With plenty of Cormac Begley. Great stuff, I thought: The Dance

While at it, you may as well watch John Kelly interview Begley :The Works presents: Cormac Begley

Edited by Peter Laban