Buying Advice Redux

Hi, My name's Jim and I need some buying advice. I play Irish BC accordion (Saltarelle Irish Boube) and Cajun (Excelsior Acadia/John Roger) but am now looking to add a 30 button C/G to play Irish. At this point I'd like to pick up a new (or near new) instrument rather than a vintage piece. I wonder if anyone has any experience with the Stagi W-15LN or W-15S or if there is another recommendation out there?

Hi, My name's Jim and I need some buying advice.  I play Irish BC accordion (Saltarelle Irish Boube) and Cajun (Excelsior Acadia/John Roger) but am now looking to add a 30 button C/G to play Irish.  At this point I'd like to pick up a new (or near new) instrument rather than a vintage piece.  I wonder if anyone has any experience with the Stagi W-15LN or W-15S or if there is another recommendation out there?

There is a wealth of information here on concertina.net. Or you could try searching the forums for similar questions to yours, or going to concertina.info's page of buying advice.

Samantha

Hi Jim. I purchased a Stagi W-15 LN from the Button Box a couple of months ago. It arrived in good tune and I have enjoyed playing it almost daily since it arrived. I have not had an opportunity to try a better instrument. I've read in this forum that the Stagi is the "best of the worst". It is certainly light years better than the Chinese Hohner I started with. So far I've not great problems with the instrument, except that I have to "fight" with the bellows occasionally. I don't know if it is because they are still stiff and will "break in" with use or if its due to poor technique on my part (letting the bellows get too far in or out) or if it is an inherent design flaw in the manufacture of the Stagis. The sound is generally quite nice, though more experienced players will probably tell you it can't compare with the sound from better instruments made be Edgely, or Morse. Anyway, I'm happy with mine for now and it has been performing adequately, especially for my novice level of playing. Hope this helps. Whatever you do though, I would recommend you purchase your concertina from a known dealer, who will inspect and tune the concertina prior to shipping it to you. Good luck. CaryK

I wonder if anyone has any experience with the Stagi W-15LN or W-15S or if there is another recommendation out there?

Hi Jim

Welcome to this concertina community. Your family name suggests that you could live in The Netherlands. If this is the case, you're invited to come to my place and try my Stagi, Marcus and Geuns-Wakker concertinas.

Some 6 years ago, I happened to pop by a local music shop (no names, but you know where I live) and asked to try a Stagi. Within 30 seconds, one of the buttons had skewed sideways and got stuck in the hole. The assistant said , err .... yes, it happens all the time, which was a good recomendation.

Have they improved the mechanism at all recently?

Some 6 years ago, I happened to pop by a local music shop (no names, but you know where I live) and asked to try a Stagi. Within 30 seconds, one of the buttons had skewed sideways and got stuck in the hole. The assistant said , err .... yes, it happens all the time, which was a good recomendation.

Have they improved the mechanism at all recently?

I have to say that apart from the low c which is slightly out of tune and takes some force to get it to sound my Stagi has not suffered from any calamitous technical problems - no buttons sticking etc. It just doesn't do what it does anywhere near as well as better ones do.

Thank you all for your advice...Opinions seem to differ except the end result indicates that all move up in a relatvely short period of time. I've been around instruments for most of my life and rarely is one satisfied with a "beginner" model. I think I might dig a little deeper into the plastic and get a more professional "base model" instrument. Thank you, this is a great forum!

P.S. No, I don't live in the Netherlands (San Diego, CA) but my family does hail from there and I've visited many times!

Thank you all for your advice...Opinions seem to differ except the end result indicates that all move up in a relatvely short period of time.  I've been around instruments for most of my life and rarely is one satisfied with a "beginner" model.  I think I might dig a little deeper into the plastic and get a more professional "base model" instrument.  Thank you, this is a great forum!

P.S.  No, I don't live in the Netherlands (San Diego, CA) but my family does hail from there and I've visited many times!

If you can stretch as far as one of the modern US or Uk made concertinas and you decide that the concertina isn't for you, you'll probably get back almost as much as you paid for it when you resell, which wouldn't be the case with a Stagi.

Samantha

I've come to the conclusion that owning a Stagi is a bit like having an older Harley-Davidson motorcycle: you've got to spend a lot of time before your ride tightening bolts and securing the wiring before going out on the road. Likewise, one should do the pre-work on the Stagi first. Staighten all buttons, ensure that they travel properly and won't stick.Then proceed, knowing that you will want to recheck at frequent intervals.

Withal, it's not bad for a starter, but, as with most folks it'll whet your appetite for the higher quality machines.

I hope that you enjoy whatever instrument you buy (or rent), and have a lot of fun.

R

This is off the wall (for what does an English player have to add here) but is not Mr. Wakker working on an Anglo Jackie level instrument? If it is of the same quality of the latest Jackies....worth a bit of a wait perhaps and rent an instrument til it come on market. Told you it was off the wall. :P

I'll get back ta' me English now.

Edited by Mark Evans