Relax as you play!

SIMON GABRIELOW

There's sometimes people worrying over straining themselves physically when playing their instruments; and there's many remedies suggested, each is worthy in its one right of course.. but simply it should not be such a dreadful strain to play your music, even when practicing awkward passages.

Relax, that is the first thing, do not tension up too much, which can happen when faced with an awkward passage in music, see it a a worthwhile challenge; perhaps that "awkward" group of notes, or difficult fingering required.

Try not to hunch up over your instrument ( I would say).. keep looser in method, and music will itself begin to be free and more open as result ( in my opinion).

I tend to sit very straight myself when playing, which looks rigid in itself, however by keeping my arms loose in movement ( ignoring my unusual method of using the straps which is my own(.. keeping arms, and hands freer in movement makes sound method much less strained as result.

Develop your own ways, with good advice, as you will know your own body better than anyone else, and you will play more confidently as result.

But chiefly you should relax and enjoy your playing; because whilst  it should be sometimes a challenge, it must never be a burden.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2022 at 3:15 PM, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

There's sometimes people worrying over straining themselves physically when playing their instruments; and there's many remedies suggested, each is worthy in its one right of course.. but simply it should not be such a dreadful strain to play your music, even when practicing awkward passages.

Relax, that is the first thing, do not tension up too much, which can happen when faced with an awkward passage in music, see it a a worthwhile challenge; perhaps that "awkward" group of notes, or difficult fingering required.

Try not to hunch up over your instrument ( I would say).. keep looser in method, and music will itself begin to be free and more open as result ( in my opinion).

I tend to sit very straight myself when playing, which looks rigid in itself, however by keeping my arms loose in movement ( ignoring my unusual method of using the straps which is my own(.. keeping arms, and hands freer in movement makes sound method much less strained as result.

Develop your own ways, with good advice, as you will know your own body better than anyone else, and you will play more confidently as result.

But chiefly you should relax and enjoy your playing; because whilst  it should be sometimes a challenge, it must never be a burden.

Thank you for this! I get it. And most of all, I appreciate your taking the time to post this. I am always looking for ways to lighten my load.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, HansQ said:

...you may be forced by the environment to sit straight

I can’t help but be reminded by this of a record album I borrowed from the library some 40+ years ago (the picture below is from the web—I don’t still have it). Gunther Schuller conducting the New England Conservatory Country Fiddle Band. As I remarked to a friend, “You could hear them sitting up straight.”

My02NTU2LmpwZWc.jpeg

8 hours ago, HansQ said:

symphonic violinists are forced to, and often manage, playing seated "straight” ... (Im an ex fiddler myself btw)

And I’m the principal cellist of the Delmar Community Orchestra, so I’ve known about orchestral musician issues much longer than I’ve known about concertina issues.

8 hours ago, HansQ said:

To me it is strange ... that so few concertina players seem to prefer playing standing instead of seated since the handiness and symmetry of concertinas ought to favour being standing just as solo fiddling.

Not strange at all. When standing, your hands/arms are both playing the concertina and supporting its weight. When sitting, most of the weight is supported by a knee, leaving the hands free to be more expressive with the playing. The fiddle, on the other hand, is supported the same way whether sitting or standing. There is no difference to the job required of the hands and arms.