Astleys

57 minutes ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

York, a concertina band? No i never knew that. I wonder where they bought the instruments. One place may have been a good old greatly acclaimed music shop that started in the 18th century ( now gone!).. Banks Music Shop it was called; marvellous place, music books, instruments, records.. in more modern times nearly everything you could wish for. And where I got my own concertina from (1999).

Shop now gone .  Sold to chain of generic music shops! Burton Stone Lane is no more than a mile or so from City Centre. ( Of York).

When the band was advertising for new members it was stipulated that they must have their own instrument.

That's very interesting; then wherever they got their own nstrunents from maybe we will never know. Later on there was other shop called Gough & Davey.. but that sold mostly pianos, keyboard, and sometimes other things. Of course there is musical history to the City anyway.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:16 AM, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

That's very interesting; then wherever they got their own nstrunents from maybe we will never know. Later on there was other shop called Gough & Davey.. but that sold mostly pianos, keyboard, and sometimes other things. Of course there is musical history to the City anyway.

In the 1880's there were a few

Banks' Music shop on Stonegate.

Waddingtons also on Stonegate

W Bell's on Micklegate

Clarkson's on Stoney Street.

Gray's ( later R. Sutcliffe's) also on Stoney St.

James Marsh, Newton Lane, Clifton

This firm were around in 1881

Snap 2022-05-12 at 15.44.15.png

Edited by sadbrewer

• 5 months later...