Clicking sound

Hi all,

I recently bought a new Phoenix concertina from Mcneela, and I'm overall really happy with the instrument. However, I quickly noticed that there is a slight clicking sound that I hear when I change direction on the bellows while holding down certain keys. It is the most pronounced on the E4/F4 key LHS. I have been combing through various posts that seem to speak to similar issues, and the usual response is that the instrument just needs some time to settle in, and that the best remedy is to keep playing. I emailed Mcneela's customer support and they promptly replied, confirming that this was probably the case. However, it's been a couple weeks and I haven't noticed any improvement yet. I also suspect that it is not so much a problem with the reeds as it is with the valves, since the notes sound fine and I only hear the clicking when I change the direction of the bellows. If it's the valve that's making the noise, Does the same "fix" still apply? Or should I open it up, and if I did, what would I be looking for? 

I usually can't hear it very much when I'm playing an actual piece, but if it's a piece that requires some reversals on the notes that make the noise, it sounds like my concertina has a mouth full of oatmeal. Double fingering is an option, but it isn't ideal. I've attached a file with a recording of what it sounds like. I'd appreciate any help, advice, or reassurance from anyone more familiar with the inner workings of these mysterious and wonderful machines! Thanks in advance!Recording.m4aRecording.m4a

Difficult to hear on your recording, but I think it is just the natural noise of valves closing. If it is this, then it will not play in. It is the type of valve, and you will get used to it. On traditional instruments the sealing face of the valve is much softer, and valves are easy to change.

I think it is the wrong sound for a pad or key base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, d.elliott said:

Difficult to hear on your recording, but I think it is just the natural noise of valves closing. If it is this, then it will not play in. It is the type of valve, and you will get used to it. On traditional instruments the sealing face of the valve is much softer, and valves are easy to change.

I think it is the wrong sound for a pad or key base.

Thanks for your reply. I needed the reassurance that it wasn't a mechanical fault. It was a change in sound that I wasn't anticipating from my previous instrument.