Scan Tester - 'posh Dances'

I discovered, at the Keith Summers Memorial Weekend, that John Howson still has a few cassettes, and accompanying books, of this excellent compilation by Reg Hall. It can be ordered from the Veteran web site.

I do recommend this to anyone with an interest in English Country Music. Scan was a 'guv'nor' and one of the very few Anglo players to be recorded.

At the weekend I also heard rumours of another player recorded in the mid-20th Century of whom I had never heard!!! If I find out more I'll certainly spread the news.

Best wishes.

Roger Digby

I discovered, at the Keith Summers Memorial Weekend, that John Howson still has a few cassettes, and accompanying books, of this excellent compilation by Reg Hall. It can be ordered from the Veteran web site.

DOes anybody know if this is available from a U.S. source? The exchange rate is a little daunting (I know; I have a kid about to go to grad school in the UK).

It probably wouldn't be any cheaper as it is Veteran who produce the tapes. It will cost you GBP13.99 including shipping to the UK and you can do it on line.

Edited for typo

Edited by Paul Read

I discovered, at the Keith Summers Memorial Weekend, that John Howson still has a few cassettes, and accompanying books, of this excellent compilation by Reg Hall.

Roger Digby

Maybe a forlorn hope, but is there a chance of this being issued on CD ?

- John Wild

A CD version might happen one day. My understanding is that Veteran only got cassette rights and will not be making any more. Topic held on to the option of CD release one day, but it's hard to see it being a commercial proposition with the real enthusiasts already having the vinyl/cassette option. People like me (people like us?) have too much on vinyl that will never be re-issued to go down the route of changing 100% to CD and getting rid of the old machines. My deck is now over 30 years old but I can't upgrade it because I need the 78 speed!

What I really hope to see from Topic is a CD release of all the Irish recordings that John Tams and Neil Wayne made back in the 70s and which were released on a Free Reed/Topic label. Topic own these which, I imagine, explains why there are a few tracks on recent Topic compilations but none on the Free Reed retrospective.

Roger