Buying A G/d Anglo

I’m interested in getting a concertina for accompanying English folk songs and from what I can gather a 30-button G/D Anglo sounds like the best option. A new Stagi (about £450 in the UK) seems to be the cheapest, or should I be looking for something else?

Richard

What key(s) do you most comfortably sing in? This is pretty critical if you are going to buy an anglo. For instance, I play G/Ds mostly in sessions, but for song accompaniment I personally prefer a C/G, and like C/G baritone best of all. That is because I find C most comfortable for most of the songs I want to accompany.

Chris

You might be better considering a brass reeded wooden ended English system

> mellow tone

> not too much volume

> versatile in singing keys

> very different to the Anglo to play, unfortunately, if you already play Anglo

D

I’m interested in getting a concertina for accompanying English folk songs and from what I can gather a 30-button G/D Anglo sounds like the best option.

What key(s) do you most comfortably sing in? This is pretty critical if you are going to buy an anglo. For instance, I play G/Ds mostly in sessions, but for song accompaniment I personally prefer a C/G, and like C/G baritone best of all. That is because I find C most comfortable for most of the songs I want to accompany.

Different keys for different folks. Some find G/D more comfortable for singing. One fine anglo-playing singer I know had a C/G and a G/D, but wasn't really satisfied until he got a Bb/F. ... Or what about other keys?

You might be better considering a brass reeded wooden ended English system

Though my playing is improving on both the anglo and the duets, I still find the English by far the best overall for accompanying my singing... in any key.

This Topic -- and the responses so far -- seems almost like a setup, as I'm in the process of putting up on eBay my 20-button Ab/Eb Lachenal anglo on eBay and two brass-reeded Lachenal Englishes. If you're interested, details can be found here.

I'm used to singing solo and unaccompanied so I'll probably need some help to identify what keys I actually use! I think my voice is basically baritone but weak in the upper reaches of that range.

Given my restricted range I have to pitch each song quite carefully, so I'm beginning to wonder if the English system would be more versatile and appropriate. I probably started looking at Anglos because I already have a D/G melodeon and thought they would be a natural progression.

Richard

Given my restricted range I have to pitch each song quite carefully, so I'm beginning to wonder if the English system would be more versatile and appropriate. I probably started looking at Anglos because I already have a D/G melodeon and thought they would be a natural progression.

Well, a word of warning, anglos and melodeons are more unalike than you would think. I first started playing the D/G melodeon myself, so I can tell you that the way you use them is quite different. Having said that, you are at least "instinctively" used to in-out playing.

Thing is (and I've said this before many times) I don't believe a person can decide what system of concertina is best for them on purely theoretical grounds. You have to hold the beast in your hands and see which one feels right for you. Ideally you should go to a concertina gathering somewhere and talk to other players and try their instruments. It will make all the difference. The concertina is a great song accompaniment instrument, and has a lot of street cred when used for that too. So do persevere.

Chris