Soft cushioned thumb strap

Every once in a while I see a Concertina that seems to have thick cushion thumb straps. If I recall correctly someone said that Wm Wakker makes them.   Looking for input.  That’s my son problems I would like a soft thick questioned as possible. Thank you

Stephen Tx

Yes indeed  Stephen,  thumb straps  from  Wim  Wakker.   I  had a pair  from  Mr. Wakker  that  were  very  comfortable  but  they  needed  replacing  I   took them to  pieces  and  copied the  construction  method.  I am  very  happy with the  results.  

Just  order  new ones  from  Concertina connection.

All English Thumb straps should be made with padding, they are, in essence, a flattened leather tube assembled around an angle bracket with a strip of linen running through to stop things from stretching. the angle bracket has an additional piece of felt along the base, up the bracket and around the arc of the thumb. I use 2mm felt compressing to 1.5mm thick. Usually you send your old straps so the repairer can use the existing metal work and match lengths etc. This is also good because different manufacturers use different screw hole lay-outs,. Wheatstone and Lachenal are very different, and Lachenal used different  layouts between standard 'tinas and Edeophones. 

Dave

On 3/1/2021 at 1:59 AM, Geoff Wooff said:

Yes indeed  Stephen,  thumb straps  from  Wim  Wakker.   I  had a pair  from  Mr. Wakker  that  were  very  comfortable  but  they  needed  replacing  I   took them to  pieces  and  copied the  construction  method.  I am  very  happy with the  results.  

Just  order  new ones  from  Concertina connection.

Greg Jowaisas Who has the concertinas turning them in refurbishing them as needed for me I also find out can make that some straps. Thank you for your reply Geoff You arse always so generous with your time

Greg Jowaisas Who has the concertinas turning them in refurbishing them as needed for me I also find out can make that some straps. Thank you for your reply Geoff You arse always so generous with your time

7 hours ago, d.elliott said:

All English Thumb straps should be made with padding, they are, in essence, a flattened leather tube assembled around an angle bracket with a strip of linen running through to stop things from stretching. the angle bracket has an additional piece of felt along the base, up the bracket and around the arc of the thumb. I use 2mm felt compressing to 1.5mm thick. Usually you send your old straps so the repairer can use the existing metal work and match lengths etc. This is also good because different manufacturers use different screw hole lay-outs,. Wheatstone and Lachenal are very different, and Lachenal used different  layouts between standard 'tinas and Edeophones. 

Dave

Thank you I’ve learned so much from you and you always so willing to share your knowledge. And I found out that he too can make straps he’s a man of all types of skillsGreg Jowaisas has the Concertinas And I found out that he too can make straps he’s a man of all types of skills