How best to learn harmonic Anglo?

Cheshire Chris

5 hours ago, Richard Mellish said:

It seems to me that Kathryn is being far far more ambitious than anyone would expect on a 20 key box. I'd love to hear what she will do when she gets a 40 key one.

There is a huge amount you can achieve on a 20 button box.  It's not as versatile as a 30 (or more) but I feel that its restrictions give it more of what I consider "the authentic Anglo sound".

Harmonic style on a 20b Anglo requires a lot of compromises, gaps, cheats and bluffs and as a result it sounds like no other instrument.

I play my 20b from time to time just to get back to basics.  I think it makes me a better musician on the 30b.

Playing in the second key (G on a CG, D on a GD) gives you a pretty full set of chords and bass notes for tunes in the major key.

• Like 1

Hi Richard,

No plans to venture beyond 20 buttons at the moment..I keep finding more things to do with those 20! 😂

Just now I stumbled on the most beautiful 9th chord - luckily I had the phone on record so I can rediscover how on Earth that happened!

And mashing the top four buttons together on the left makes a lovely Em7 

Just considering the increased permutations just a few extra buttons might provide us enough to fry my head right now!

Edited by Kathryn Wheeler

On 1/13/2021 at 8:11 PM, Peter Smith said:

I would add my praise to Gary Coover's books. I found the "Anglo Concertina in the Harmonic Style" a revelation. I always tought it should be possible to play some good harmonies and this book showed me how. Hope you have a great time with it.

Peter

Hello Peter,

my e-mail address:  bambomotion@gmx.de

lease contact me an d confirm that you have receved my message.

I am low sight handicpped and not used to crrespond on Concetina.net

By the way, I have recently bought the Tutpor yoou mention nd have found Anglo Tour in Youtube.

Dou think, that in some moment we coould connect by Zoom or Skype and you might help me some moment.

For me I must lean manly by ear, sce it is not easy for to red a Tune Bokk widue to my handicaped eyes.

Would be nice.

Still I am planing to come to UK as son Corvid allows it again and would like to have a beer with you.

Kind regards

Joachim Delp

On 1/17/2021 at 8:15 PM, Kathryn Wheeler said:

Hi Richard,

No plans to venture beyond 20 buttons at the moment..I keep finding more things to do with those 20! 😂

Just now I stumbled on the most beautiful 9th chord - luckily I had the phone on record so I can rediscover how on Earth that happened!

And mashing the top four buttons together on the left makes a lovely Em7 

Just considering the increased permutations just a few extra buttons might provide us enough to fry my head right now!

This sounds vey motivating to me.

Tried to conect https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfaF1wA2EZagdS7E8i3ixw/featured

and could not find it.

Any chance to lsiten your playing anywhere, but possibly also on Youtube ?

Thanks in advacne

Joachim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoachimDelp said:

Hello Peter,

my e-mail address:  bambomotion@gmx.de

lease contact me an d confirm that you have receved my message.

I am low sight handicpped and not used to crrespond on Concetina.net

By the way, I have recently bought the Tutpor yoou mention nd have found Anglo Tour in Youtube.

Dou think, that in some moment we coould connect by Zoom or Skype and you might help me some moment.

For me I must lean manly by ear, sce it is not easy for to red a Tune Bokk widue to my handicaped eyes.

Would be nice.

Still I am planing to come to UK as son Corvid allows it again and would like to have a beer with you.

Kind regards

Joachim Delp

Please excuse error, I correct

bamboomotion@gmx.de

Would happy if you wold try once more.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 7:27 PM, JoachimDelp said:

This sounds vey motivating to me.

Tried to conect https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfaF1wA2EZagdS7E8i3ixw/featured

and could not find it.

Any chance to lsiten your playing anywhere, but possibly also on Youtube ?

Thanks in advacne

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

sorry I haven’t replied til now

The YouTube link there was to my channel.  I just clicked on it and it worked for me - how odd!  

perhaps if I link to one of my videos you can find my channel (and my other videos) from that?

I was m so very pleased that you found it motivating! 

Let me know if it worked for you.

Ive only got a few concertina videos up there so far (arranged in a playlist) but that’s because videoing things on my own is all very new to me but I hope to do lots more.  

And maybe, if it’s helpful,  I could do some videos showing things in more detail - slower or explaining how I came up with arrangements?