Internationale

Not at all that bad, Gregor, given that you've only been at "it" for so briefly!

An observation I'd like to share is that you tend to work your bellows in the red zone, in particular on pull. While playing, you shouldn't extend or compress the bellows beyond +-70% of its range, in particular when you have enough folds.

In practice that means you should change bellow directions more frequently so you don't risk the danger of running out of air. When to reverse is somewhat of a science; pick ends of phrases if possible so that the changes are hardly (ideally not at all) audible. Check the Videos of your favorite artists, paying particular attention to their bellows control.

It's a very very common phenomenon, bellows control is one of the issues that tend to be swept under the carpet or waved away with comments like "it'll just come over time." Not exactly helpful a remark like that is, but I guess it comes over time by itself, no?... :blink: 

Edited by RAc

Well done Gregor.........less is more when holding keys down but well done.

Seems like you're having fun !

you shouldn't extend or compress the bellows beyond +-70% of its range,

Never heard this before.....obviously on compressing !......but extending, I don't agree.

I believe bellows to be very durable and if you total them after 40 years, then replace....see Cormac Begley as an extreme example.

And second, if I need air, then I need air and it's not because of lack of bellows control.

Cheers.............and maybe a separate thread not to hijack Gregor's first recording ?

1 hour ago, Robin Harrison said:

Well done Gregor.........less is more when holding keys down but well done.

Seems like you're having fun !

you shouldn't extend or compress the bellows beyond +-70% of its range,

Never heard this before.....obviously on compressing !......but extending, I don't agree.

I believe bellows to be very durable and if you total them after 40 years, then replace....see Cormac Begley as an extreme example.

And second, if I need air, then I need air and it's not because of lack of bellows control.

Cheers.............and maybe a separate thread not to hijack Gregor's first recording ?

Actually, the advice is not about wear prevention, but about articulation. You basically face the same problem on push and pull: If you are almost at the end of your bellows travel but can't reverse yet for whatever reason, your notes start to become anemic, so you want to keep a reserve.

Someone of your experience and level of expertise may have forgotten about this a long time ago... ;-)

In case we do delegate this to another thread (good idea btw unless it is agreed that this is of interest to Gregor), please explain your statement " if I need air, then I need air and it's not because of lack of bellows control". Isn't the issue of air supply central to all bellows driven instruments, and isn't the key to its solution the ability to always have enough air... and isn't this a direct function of how one works the bellows?