German-made English on eBay

Daniel Hersh

Fascinating!

Sort of like an Anglo-German in reverse - not German button arrangement with English reeds, but English button arrangement with German reeds! I wonder what it sounds like.

I've never heard of the maker, but Google brought up this item on eBay Germany, which went for €156.- not long ago. Looks very similar to the one in question here.

Apparently, judging from photos in the Internet, Micklitz made standard, rectangular German Konzertinas, but also some with unconventional button layouts.

Cheers,

John

5 hours ago, Anglo-Irishman said:

Fascinating!

Sort of like an Anglo-German in reverse - not German button arrangement with English reeds, but English button arrangement with German reeds! I wonder what it sounds like.

I've never heard of the maker, but Google brought up this item on eBay Germany, which went for €156.- not long ago. Looks very similar to the one in question here.

Apparently, judging from photos in the Internet, Micklitz made standard, rectangular German Konzertinas, but also some with unconventional button layouts.

Cheers,

John

Yes that’s the one that I bought, I had to do a little work, mainly fixing some sticky buttons as the the springs and levers are not as sophisticated as the vintage. Also had re-polish the ends due to some notorious discolouration on the wood that unfortunately wasn’t visible on the photos, but now it looks great and hopefully plays better than when I received it. To be honest I only bought it to look inside as I also found it very rare. (Based on one of the photos I thought it had bushed holes, but it didn’t)

It sounds great, the lower notes sound quite loud, like a baritone treble concertina which makes it great to play chords. A=435 is a lovely pitch definitely.