Multiple Notes On One Row

Edit: Sorry, should have stated that I'm talking about an English concertina.

Let's say I have to play an ascending D, A, then E. According to English style doctrine, I use my index finger for all three, but obviously that isn't going to work at any kind of speed. I can move my middle finger up to the A, but then it's tough getting the index finger back up to E. How would you play that run? Would you also bring the ring finger up and play each note with a separate finger?

Edited by Jeff Stallard

3 2 1
Does that mean ring on the D, middle on the A, and index on the E?

I'm sure that's what RatFace meant.

But it will almost certainly depend on what notes come before and after, since one of those fingers may be needed elsewhere. E.g., what if just before the D-A-e you have your ring finger on the B below? (RF might use his pinkie, but we could always carry things a step further. It's the principle that counts.) 3-2-1 is very useful, but I'm at least as likely to use 2-1-2 or 1-2-1, and other sequences (e.g., 3-1-2) are at least theoretically possible.

...but you have to see it coming well in advance to shift your hand like that.

It's good to develop that look-ahead skill (or plan-ahead, if you can work out a fingering sequence over several repetitions) in any case.

On the other hand, I find that I don't really have different positions for my hand for each of those sequences, only for my fingers.

Having only play for six days now, I haven't gotten into complicated music, but there have been a few times where I've had to bring in my right finger to hit a note that my middle finger would ordinarily be responsible for. That works fine for me, but I have trouble getting my fingers back into the standard position, so the next note or two on that side have a much higher tendency to be wrong. Given what you said about finger position as opposed to hand position, maybe the real problem is that I'm moving my hand too much. I'll pay attention to my hand movement next time. Oh, and for the record, I am able to use my ring finger to hit F# and C# without messing the rest of my hand up.

Yes, you woked out correctly which fingers I meant! I don't wear any rings so that terminology isn't natural to me...

It seems that different people have their own preferences about to do this with just two notes - let's say D and A on the right hand side. I would almost always do this (e.g. if the notes before and after were on the left hand side) with the index finger on the A, and the second (err middle!) finger on the D, because this just feels more comfortable to me. I think Dave Townsend would tend to do the opposite. However, I generally play with my little finger off the rests, so I do move and twist my hand a lot. I guess it does make it harder to accurately hit the buttons, but that's just something you get used to over time. It's nothing compared to the accuracy a violinist/cellist needs, for example - when playing up the neck of a cello you need to be accurate to well under a millimeter and there's no reference points at all!

Anyway, I think it's probably a good idea to try playing the same note with different fingers a bit - you'll end up with a better familiarity and adaptability in the end. I was first shown to play with both the 3rd AND 4th fingers in the finger rests (i.e. playing with just two fingers per hand) - when I got to the point where that really limited me it was terribly hard to get myself out of the habit - maybe I went a bit too far the other way :)

It's nothing compared to the accuracy a violinist/cellist needs, for example - when playing up the neck of a cello you need to be accurate to well under a millimeter and there's no reference points at all!

I hear you brother! My first instrument was a violin, and I eventually gave it up precisely because of the strict accuracy required.

ok jim while we are on the subject of multiple notes...

you've got 8 b's in a row - do you take your finger off the button and play each one

or

do you use the bellows to seperate the notes.

something tells me I'm gonna be needing lessons soon :)

you've got 8 b's in a row - do you take your finger off the button and play each one

the "standard" way of doing this is to alternate fingers - e.g. play for the B on the left side play 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1. This way you keep control over things (with practice!), even though it may be hard at first.

For someone playing for only 6 days the two questions you've asked here are kind of advanced - I'm not sure I ever came across either situation!

For someone playing for only 6 days the two questions you've asked here are kind of advanced - I'm not sure I ever came across either situation!

Two different questions; two different people.

Otsaku hasn't been playing for long, but definitely more than Jeff Stallard's 6 days. :)

However, both are reasonable questions from anyone who already plays another instrument and wants to use familiar tunes as exercises.

in three days it will be a month.

picking out tunes is going ok - reading the music and getting the rythm right isn't...

I'm starting to hit the same hurdles I hit with the tin whistle.

Me thinks I need to get a few cds and listen to what people are playing - midi's and abc files aren't giving me anything that sticks in my head.

Repetitively with the same finger? Rarely for 2 repetitions. Probably never for all of 8 in a row.

or ... do you use the bellows to seperate the notes.

Rarely, though I do occasionally use that technique for a few very fast repetitions, like a fiddler's "bowing triplets".

Ratface has it. The best method is to alternate fingers, usually two, and in some instances I may even throw in a third finger to get the right transition from the note before and/or to the note after. Above a certain speed, alternating fingers becomes pretty much necessary. It's also beneficial at slower speeds, both in giving control and as practice for doing it at the higher speeds where it becomes necessary..

something tells me I'm gonna be needing lessons soon :)

Well, you know how to contact me. ;)