The Concertina Bug

otsaku

I should point out for the uninitiated that a brass monkey is a brass triangle or square used somewhat like the triangle used on a snooker table. In stead of snooker balls it was used to hold piles of cannon balls in place.

Now the brass contracts more than the cannon balls do in cold weather, so the balls fall off.

Robin Madge

Interesting. As I heard it the brass monkey was a brass contraption place on the top of the cannon balls. Low temperatures caused it to fall off, so the saying should have been "Cold enough to freeze the brass monkey off the balls".

Yer pays yer money ...

Chris

I've not even had my jackie a month and I'm drifting off into daydreams involving wheatstones, lachenals and even jeffries duets.

Is there a cure? If there is, donations to my de-tox fund are welcome :P

I've had my Jackie a month as well. I used to play the concertina some years ago but then the guitar took over and I sold it to buy a new Guild guitar. Then on Sunday my wife spotted a Lacehanl on ebay.uk on a three day listing which not many people seemed to have spotted. It dates around late 19th century, six sided rosewood ends and 48 buttons. Well, I'm afraid it was just irresitible when an hour before the auction ended there was only one other bidder. I came in two minutes before the end, bid twice and won.

The seller is now waiting for my cheque to clear and I should get it next week. I've arranged to have the two reported faults fixed with a repairer down in Sussex not too far from where I live.

Only question now, do I keep the Jackie? I guess so. Maybe at this stage of my life when we 've finally got an empty nest I can just hang on to the thing. By the way, the Jackie is very nice and certainly lets me play everything I'm capable of playing.

Tom

Then on Sunday my wife spotted a Lacehanl on ebay.uk on a three day listing which not many people seemed to have spotted.  It dates around late 19th century, six sided rosewood ends and 48 buttons.  Well, I'm afraid it was just irresitible when an hour before the auction ended there was only one other bidder.  I came in two minutes before the end, bid twice and won. 

Let us know how the purchase turns out. If it is as advertised it will make an ideal next instrument.

Definitely hold on to the Jackie. I have a little Jones G/D anglo which is with my nephew, and my old Hohner Erica melodeon moves from friend to friend as the urge to play melodeon strikes them. You can put your Jackie to good use spreading the addiction.

Chris

Let us know how the purchase turns out. If it is as advertised it will make an ideal next instrument.

Chris

Thanks for that Chris. I must say, my expectations aren't high - a +100 year old instrument, bought sight unseen! However for £250 I can spend a bit of money on it and still have got reasonable value I would think. And from what I see on ebay, these things are like money in the bank.

Now, I wonder if my wife would like to learn the Jackie . . . (marital strife and imminent break-up beckons).

Tom

Where else could one learn such useful information? Next time I come in for some rollin' eyes from my dearest over the amount of time I spend lurkin' around with a bunch of squeezers I will refer to this very subject: Monkeys, brass and balls. :P

By the way it is cold enough here to bring in the brass monkeys. Particularly if they are not fond of snow.

I will miss the schoolboy version myself.

Only question now, do I keep the Jackie? 

Tom

I tend to keep my first instrument so I don't see me selling my Jackie. But having said that if I was lucky enough to get my hands on a lachenal in need of some restoration it might be neccesary to get rid of something to finance parts and labour :|

• 2 weeks later...

I had every intention of keeping my Stagi - despite it's faults it was loads of fun and the very first concertina I ever owned.

However when I was asked by a friend if I was interested in selling it to a friend of his who was desperate to upgrade from a 20 button to a 30 button, it just felt like the right thing to do... so my stagi went to a good home, where it is loved and played often.

I love my Norman and it will certainly hold me in good stead for a many a year to come... so why do I yearn for a "new" concertina to come into my home? Does this addiction never end? :P

Hopefully when I'm in the UK later this year I'll discover another beauty tucked away forgotten in a music store, but alas I fear that luck only happens once a lifetime :)

Cheers

Morgana