Video Tutor For English + Aches

laticsrblu

Simple question realy

Are there any Video/DVD tutors for English.

I've just started, playing sittting down and resting the concertina on my knee, I rest the bellows is that right or should I be resting one of the ends?

Playing makes my hands/fingers ache.

Am I doing something wrong or is it the same fpr all beginners?

Simple question realy

I've just started, playing sittting down and resting the concertina on my knee, I rest the bellows is that right or should I be resting one of the ends?

Playing makes my hands/fingers ache.

Am I doing something wrong or is it the same fpr all beginners?

Hello,

I know of no tutor DVD or video for the English. Sorry.

I have been teaching myself (with the help of a couple of printed tutors) for a year now. I rest the bellows on my knee. I find that I am building muscles where I never had them before, too. Playing a little more quietly might help. I think you are probably doing alright. When I play consistently the pain goes away after a few days.

What Concertina did you get? I find that my Jackie is a conversation starter, since I practice out in public. People have been very nice, too.

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"

I think that supporting concertinas upon its bellows on one's knee is a terrible way of playing it (when considering the durability/longevity of the bellows). That tends to put undue wear on the lower bellows corners and a lot of stress which can cause it to eventually deform there and collapse.

We've replaced many a concertina bellows which have been played this way. This happens to *any* quality of bellows from the cheapest Stagi to the best Dipper bellows.

Most concertina players eventually realize this and play by resting one of the concertina endframes on their knee (thigh acutally). Which end and which thigh varies a lot.... I personally use the right endframe on my left thigh, but I think that this is because I started out playing button accordion. My personal thoughts on this is that players tend to root the melody side (for more control).

Duet players seem to root their right frame, English style anglo players also root their right frame but Irish style anglo players seem to root their LEFT frame (I guess there's more melody notes on the left side when playing like that?) and English players do it either way (being a balanced note sided system).

I wonder if this is so? I guess that's what polls are for. So I set up this poll to see how we fare here at concertina.net.

I think that supporting concertinas upon its bellows on one's knee is a terrible way of playing it (when considering the durability/longevity of the bellows). That tends to put undue wear on the lower bellows corners and a lot of stress which can cause it to eventually deform there and collapse.

If the same argument was applied to violins then violinists would use the bow stick instead of the bow hair and would hum instead of touching the strings for fear of damaging them. I hold/support my concertina like this:

http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/concertina/pictures/holding.jpg

and whilst there is wear on the belows it's currently (after 10 years or so) entirely cosmetic. When the time comes and the wear is more than cosmetic I'll get the bellows replaced and it won't make the slightest difference to the instrument when viewed as a working musical instrument. Similarly every 6/12 months I change the strings on my cello. I don't see the difference.

We've replaced many a concertina bellows which have been played this way. This happens to *any* quality of bellows from the cheapest Stagi to the best Dipper bellows.

If the same argument was applied to violins then violinists would use the bow stick instead of the bow hair and would hum instead of touching the strings for fear of damaging them.

Well Richard *HAS* repaired many damaged bellows from being played that way, so it seems pretty indisputable that it causes damage. How much is debatable of course.

In your picture, the concertina seems to be supported mostly by the strap across the bottom, not the bellows. furthermore, with that strap on the bottom, the bellows movement is restricted severely so it can't rub on your thigh nearly as much, which might explain the lack of wear on yours.

Simple question realy

Concertina Academy have a tutor book/CD. Go to

http://www.concertina-academy.com/

and click on tutors/grading

Hope that helps.

I play with the right hand case perched on my right knee. This seems to work fine for me and poses no undue strain on the bellows. The vitally important thing for a beginner is to get the bellows control right. For an English system things like in for two bars then out for two bars, or phrasing bellows movement are very important to establish early. If you learn them properly early on this will become automatic and will stand you in good stead for years to come.

Tom

www.brightfield.org.uk