Got A Sony Ic Digital Voice Recorder

bellowbelle

I'm in a real hurry and will get back to this.

This is not all 'done' yet so don't make any permanent links to it:

http://geocities.com/geranimom/ParakeetsTweet.html

(Page has MP3 link.)

This tune is already on the Recorded Tune Links page, but without my birds.

So...I'm getting acquainted with my new gadget, still.

This is not 'great' and there's still those 'holes' in the MP3.

Gotta go walk the dogs now.

Anyway, I am quite happy to have found out about this great little recorder that will pick up the sounds outside like birds and crickets -- I couldn't get them with my other recorder.

Later!

Anyway, I am quite happy to have found out about this great little recorder that will pick up the sounds outside like birds and crickets -- I couldn't get them with my other recorder.

I have one and love it -- for dictation and for quick and dirty recording at jams and such.

On a related note, I wrote a waltz in honor of my brother's wedding about 5 years ago., and my band recorded it using a minidisc and a high quality mic.

It sounded absolutely great on my computer, so I burned a CD and brought it to the wedding, where the DJ played it as the opening dance at the reception.

But it was a huge and very good sound system -- which revealed that the recording had picked up some very active crickets just outside our improvised studio. The dancers got a good laugh from that.

....But it was a huge and very good sound system -- which revealed that the recording had picked up some very active crickets just outside our improvised studio....

:) I can't wait to go out and sing with our crickets and tree frogs! I hope we actually have a decent spring/summer, next time around. Y'never can tell, around here, what you're in for, weather-wise (right, Mark?).

So far, I've just used the built-in (omni-directional option) mic on this IC Recorder (Sony ICD-ST125). Would a good-quality external mic be desirable to use?

I edited this sound file and converted it to MP3, then it was 'holey.' I may have to keep the files as WAVs, to avoid that.

I don't have a ton of interest in recording and I am rather prehistoric about it, but I like the option of being able to record AWAY from the computer, to relax and sing outside when the nice weather is here. It seems like it'll never be here, but, someday...

EDIT ADDED TO FIX MY SPELLING -- should be 'desirable', not 'desireable'

Edited by bellowbelle

I edited this sound file and converted it to MP3, then it was 'holey.'  I may have to keep the files as WAVs, to avoid that.

There's nothing wrong with the MP3 file. You can get "gaps" when playing any sound file (of any format) from the internet. Most browsers will start playing the sound before it's fully loaded, and if the file doesn't load fast enough, the sound will stop as more of the audio file loads, then start back up again. It's more likely to happen if a sound is compressed less (has a larger file size per second of audio). There's really nothing you can do to the file to fix it, except compress it more heavily, which is a compromise, of course. You may be able to set your browser or audio software to load more of the file (or all of it) before playing it.

If you play the file again after listening to it the first time, there should be no gaps. Or, save it to your hard drive before playing it. People with fast internet connections will rarely encounter gaps in playback.

....But it was a huge and very good sound system -- which revealed that the recording had picked up some very active crickets just outside our improvised studio....

So far, I've just used the built-in (omni-directional option) mic on this IC Recorder (Sony ICD-ST125). Would a good-quality external mic be desireable to use?

I use a Sony ECM-MS907 stereo mic with the minidisk , but never tried it with the ICD-ST25 IC recorder. When I get a chance I'll try it and see how it works.

Thanks, Boney...yeah, sounds like what Jim was explaining, in this previous post in another thread.

Anyway, one of these days I'll have to devote myself to seeing if there's any way to keep my wav-to-mp3 converts from having gaps (at least for me) after I upload them to my site. (My new recorder can make wavs, but no mp3s.)

I edited this sound file and converted it to MP3, then it was 'holey.'  I may have to keep the files as WAVs, to avoid that.

There's nothing wrong with the MP3 file. You can get "gaps" when playing any sound file (of any format) from the internet....

Be real careful with it outdoors ... I have/had one too --- Model ICB-16. I used it outdoors in damp weather and it got a teensy bit of damp (not wet just damp) and died!. I was very disappointed how fragile it was. I had expected better of Sony.

Bill Taffe

Rumney, NH

Be real careful with it outdoors ...

You know, I did suddenly realize that I'll have to deal with all the dust and pollen that blows around here, in the spring. The pollen is so thick that it blows off the trees in thick green sheets, at times.

I guess I'll keep my recorder covered at all times.

I did just order an external mic to go with it, and it cost way less than the recorder. I can leave that uncovered if necessary, without as much worry.

(Said Henk:)

I can fully confirm this. All your soundfiles (MP3 or WAV) sound very smooth (without gaps, holes, or whatever) on my PC.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm confused...another thing that confuses me is that this didn't happen, at first. Maybe it's our internet provider or it could be my web host.

I am probably going to end up taking a course in 'Computer Recording For Dummies,' because I just keep going in circles when I try to study the situation. There's too much to know about. I still wouldn't know what a BIT is if it BIT me!!! :D

Actually, I do kinda get what a 'bit' is. You put them in cookies. Chocolate bits....and you need cookies on the computer...yup...

Anyway. I did make another file today, from my new recorder. Different settings, a bit, for the WAV. It has gaps (for me) but it's the best I can do for now, and I think I'll probably just quit for a while until I can be more sure of what I'm doing. (Also would like to get feeling a little peppier, more vocal umph, and so on.) The file is The Winding Stream (With Birds) Mp3

(That song is a traditional one, done by The Carter Family and other country/folk singers.)

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I'm confused...another thing that confuses me is that this didn't happen, at first.  Maybe it's our internet provider or it could be my web host....

:) Yay! I think I've solved my problem with the gaps (that appear at least for me).

When I convert WAVs to MP3s, I need to adjust the bitrates as set by the converter software...or, so it seems. I also changed 'encoder quality' (speed/quality balance) a bit.

I really don't understand exactly what these adjustments do, but I've tried it with two files that previously had gaps, and now they don't have them.

So, that's nice to know.