"vintage" Concertina Tunes

Rhomylly

Okay, so in a fit of whimsy, I've bid on one of those lots of 1920's - 1940's concertina sheet music on Ebay. 5 bucks won't break the bank, and the result may be mildly amusing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3781500290&rd=1

Anyone ever try these tunes or others from the same era?

Anyone know of any recordings of same?

And do they mean concertina concertina or do they really mean chemnitzer?

Anyone ever try these tunes or others from the same era?

From the same era, definitely. From the same genre/culture, probably not more than a couple. That's almost certainly polka-band stuff. ("Polka bands" do play other kinds of tunes, e.g., waltzes and marches. Probably not many tangos, though.)

Almost certainly Chemnitzer. If you get them, I expect you'll find funny numbered notation for the left hand. If that's the case, then I hope that one of the Chemnitzer web sites explains the notation in terms of ordinary music notation.

Anyone know of any recordings of same?

Probably some of it is on the "concertina" records that also appear occasionally on eBay. Wayne Ripke is one name I think I remember.

Chemnitzer, I think.

A while back someone in Pa. was auctioning off a ton of old concertina polka band LPs on Ebay. I bought a few; it's really lively stuff.

Edited by Jim Besser

Almost certainly Chemnitzer.  If you get them, I expect you'll find funny numbered notation for the left hand.  If that's the case, then I hope that one of the Chemnitzer web sites explains the notation in terms of ordinary music notation.

Yes, I think it's that. I have a lot of this type of sheet music. One of these days I'll make a list of the titles, but...don't know when!

I don't understand the Chemnitzer notation, and I've never looked for a website or anything that explains it. If you find something, Rhomylly, please let me know, just so I can add it to my library notes!

I don't understand the Chemnitzer notation, and I've never looked for a website or anything that explains it.  If you find something, Rhomylly, please let me know, just so I can add it to my library notes!

Have a look at this page: some of the pictures are very confusing and some might help.

edited to add:

post-37-1108188472.gif

Wendy I see that your last post is no. 500, so you are now a heavyweight boxer !!!!

CONGRATULATIONS

:) :)

Edited by Henk van Aalten

So, all this music that was arranged/written for the English concertina during the Victorian era...where is it?

I have some. The ICA has more. I know there are others who have some.

Copying/scanning it is a problem, because the pages are bigger than standard letter-size or A4, i.e., bigger than what a standard scanner will handle. And the next-bigger scanners are both huge and expensive.