Anglos Made By Steve Dickinson

Flip Delport

I have recently started to compile a list of English made Anglo concertinas in South Africa. Within the first six weeks I could trace more than one hundred instruments. With the help of the digitized Dickinson Archives in the Horniman Museum I was able to provide all the owners with dates of manufacture, model numbers etc. There are however, two instruments on my list for which I require more information. Both instruments are octagonal 40 key Anglos. I believe they were made by Steve Dickinson. The serial numbers are 60047 and 60056.

I would be very pleased if somebody can help me with the following: Are the model numbers for these instruments also model 7A like the 5XXXX Wheatstones? Does Steve Dickinson keep a production register for future research? Is it possible to have the “birth dates” on Dickinson made instruments?

Flip,

Any Wheatstone with a number of 60000 or more was made by Steve Dickinson. His 18th July 1979 Price List, issued when he was at 3, The Almshouses, Great Linford Manor, Milton Keynes, still used the Wheatstone model designation 7A for the 40-key octagonal Anglo, at a price of £782.00 including 15% VAT (£680 export).

Another Price List, at 2, Redhouse Yards, Gislingham Road, Thornham Magna, Nr. Eye, Suffolk, lists it as model 5A, at a price of £1070.00.

The only other Price List I have is dated 21st October 1999, at 21 Bridge Street, Stowmarket, Suffolk. The 40-key Aeola had then become model 3A at £3670.00.

The C Wheatstone & Co website still lists it under the same number :

No. 3A Ebony. Aeola model. 40 keys. Keys C&G to G&D.

7-fold bellows. 6 3/4" Octagonal. £5,160

I'm sure Steve can tell you exactly when those concertinas were made, but I would hazard a guess that they probably date from the mid-1980's.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I have a Hayden-system duet number 60095. This dates from 1989. I assume the serial numbers would be consecutive regardless of the type of individual instrument, so I hope this might be a helpful pointer.

Edited to correct glaring typing error in the date - plus 5 years! sorry.

- John Wild

Edited by John Wild

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for the replies. I wrote to Steve Dickinson directly and received all the information I needed. Steve gave me the following information:

60056 23-8-1984 Model 3A 40 key Octagonal finished in Amboina & Gold plate with brown bellows.

60047 29-1-1984 Model 3A 40 key Octagonal finished in ebony with NP full width metal ends.