Cajun Accordion Or Melodeon?

Aside from quality there is the issue of "fun to play"

Here I will rank the MAX at the top

with a close second for the Hohner 114 and 113

Next Quebec boxes ( my limited experience)

Then Cajun Boxes

All the rest

subject to change

Jeff

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this thread about (Cajun) melodeons I see a nice opportunity to present some very good Dutch makers of as we call it "harmonica's":

Karel van de Leeuw (Dutch only)

Frans van der Aa (Dutch & English)

Both sites do not only show pictures and sound of great machine but are also a great example of nice web sites (IMO)

Some pictures from Karel's websites:

lepelbasser.jpg

eenrlepelb4.jpg

In this thread about (Cajun) melodeons I see a nice opportunity to present some very good Dutch makers of as we call it "harmonica's":

Karel van de Leeuw (Dutch only)

Frans van der Aa (Dutch & English)

Thanks Henk, I'm particularly intrigued by the possibilities of the Dutch/Belgian style basses on the one- and two-row melodions you illustrate. They might be considered "cheating" in melodeon competitions here, but the prospect of additional A (draw) and G (draw) basses on a 1-row D is very tempting.

Do you know what Karel charges for such a machine ?

Aside from quality there is the issue of "fun to play"

Here I will rank the MAX at the top

with a close second for the Hohner 114 and 113

Next Quebec boxes ( my limited experience)

Then Cajun Boxes

All the rest

subject to change

Well perhaps we should just agree to differ on this one Jeff. As I said, I have no experience of the Quebecois boxes (but would love to try one), but the other three I would list in reverse order, yes, with even the Hohner ahead of the Castagnari, and for sheer "fun to play" I have yet to find anything to beat my Doucet !

I am not alone in preferring a good Cajun box, Paul Hurst, who was selling his surplus Marc Savoy C on eBay in December, wrote "The Savoy are to my mind the finest available (I’ve also owned two Castagnari ‘Max’s in the past)", and I have met others too who would feel that way.

Having said which, I sold my own Castagnari to Paul Brock and another to Brendan Begley, two of the finest accordion players in Ireland, but Bobby Gardiner (my favourite player) doesn't like either the Castagnari, or the Cajun boxes, and sticks to a Hohner in G.

Horses for courses !

Edited by Stephen Chambers

More "nuthers

I spoke with Karel before the Euro went up.. at that time he wanted $1800-2200 US for a single row 4 bass with levers (still my favorite)

He said 1 or 2 years when he would get around to doing another batch of 1 rows

So with no specific commitment as to price or time I did not order..

But I think these could be great boxes..had I ordered then I would have it now : (

In thinking about ALL the factors involved including current prices, quality, fun factor etc.. I agree with you.. the Castagnari would not be on top.

I am speaking to a Cajun builder now to get him to make a box to my specifications, including tuning....with some serious modifications.. and hopefully I can make some of the components ( specifically the woodwork)

have him do the assembly and reed work,,,

Note Gaillard used to send his boxes out to be tuned , unless things have changed

Gaillard made some interesting one rows...not sure if he still offers them

Speaking of single rows, did anyone ever get a chance to play the Saltarelle single row 2 (two ) reed cajun style box...not the 4 reed but the 2 reed...?

Amazing .. 3 of my favorite players.. Brock, Begley and Gardiner...

and 2 of three play Castagnari one row , the other a Hohner...

I have a Hohner 2 stopper in "A" that is a kick.. but my favorite Hohner "was" a 113 3 stopper L,M,H in D which I sold to Paul Groff....

Also the German made Regals and house branded units for Hobgoblin (Galotta) werent bad with a spring conversion and some tweeking and tuning...I had a good one in C...

My first single row was an early 20th Century 4 stopper no name in sharped Bb I got from P. Groff.. I played that wheezy unit for a year before I "stepped" up...

Right now I am borderline on getting another concertina or buying back my Castagnari 1 row in C.... I would be tempted to rip off that bass box..

maybe I should stay away from it and leave it stock for someone else considering they may be discontinued and a collectors box...I am a player

Note Stephen from my last post " subject to change " : )

Jeff

Hey Steve,

This one has just come up on eBay. It looks to be a bargain, with a Buy It Now price of only $405 !

Well it looks like Steve has got his accordion safely & seems happy with it, as I see he has left positive feedback for the seller :

Best Transaction Ever! Great Communication, Fast Delivery, Item as Described! A+

I reckon he must be busy squeezing !

I reckon he must be busy squeezing !

LOL! :lol: You're absolutely right Stephen! I received the accordion Monday afternoon and have been busy making my thumb sore! It has proven to be a wonderfully well made instrument that truly is brand new. When I took it out of the case (Oh, man! the case!) it looked as if I was the first to do so.

With eBay, the pictures are always misleading, sometimes to the good, sometimes to the bad. Buying it unseen, I was apprehensive about the quality of this box until I first held it. There is no doubt that this box should rightfully have brought twice what I paid.

It seems to be constructed of beautifully grained maple and is tuned to "C". (Yay!)

Thanks for passing on this one and letting me know about it. You have unleashed another Cajun player on an unsuspecting world. Aaaa-YEEEEEEEH!

You have unleashed another Cajun player on an unsuspecting world. Aaaa-YEEEEEEEH!

Hmmm.. Can I take this as the correct "yell" for a cajun session. I need to get this right to save embarrassement. (I realise I ought to say Heuuch (sp?) for scottish and Yee-ha! for C&W) and should I yell with a french accent :)

You have unleashed another Cajun player on an unsuspecting world. Aaaa-YEEEEEEEH!

Hmmm.. Can I take this as the correct "yell" for a cajun session. I need to get this right to save embarrassement. (I realise I ought to say Heuuch (sp?) for scottish and Yee-ha! for C&W) and should I yell with a french accent :)

Maybe this will help:

Cajun Yell

Chris,

You can indeed, though I have more usually seen it written Aieee ! And in Ireland you will sometimes hear a cry of Hup !, while at a French gypsy jazz session Très fort !' or maybe Très chaud ! would be well received.

Glad to hear the accordion is everything it looked/could be hoped to be Steve (I was a bit worried).

Another reason I didn't bid on that one, which I didn't mention previously, is that I am (still) waiting for a 10-key 4-stop melodeon from Germany, bought off eBay at the beginning of the month, made in the same factory that built the original Cajun Monarchs & Sterlings, and said to be in restored condition. I have my fingers crossed, as I have been looking for one of those for a long time too.

post-436-1116813426_thumb.jpg

AND I was waiting for the close of the sale of an Italo-Irish-American Baldoni, Bartoli 10-key, 2-bass accordion (not a melodeon, but played like one) which ended yesterday on eBay. These were very popular with Irish musicians in the US from the end of the 1920's until the 1960's, being played by people like P.J. Conlon, Ann (Ma) McNulty and Joe Derrane, and this looks like quite an old one. Needless to say, I have also wanted one of these for many years too. It is clearly in need of a lot of tlc, but I still can't believe I got it for only $28.00 !

post-436-1116813933_thumb.jpg

So just how lucky can a guy get in the space of barely two weeks ! :) :) :)

(And now you see why I couldn't afford to buy the "Bon Temps" too !)

Edited pictures.

And in Ireland you will sometimes hear a cry of Hup !, while at a French gypsy jazz session Très fort !' or maybe Très chaud ! would be well received.

And in England a cry of "What's yours" never gets complaints.

Chris (who ever lives in hope)

I received the accordion Monday afternoon and have been busy making my thumb sore! It has proven to be a wonderfully well made instrument that truly is brand new. When I took it out of the case (Oh, man! the case!) it looked as if I was the first to do so.

Steve,

I just noticed something, which could make your thumb a lot less sore when playing : there is no shoulder strap with that accordion, and nothing to attach one to. I'm surprised that the maker didn't fit the brackets, mine came with them provided, and I'm sure the original owner would have fitted a strap if he had played it.

Go to a hardware shop and buy a couple of the 1" D-rings they use to hang pictures, they are fitted to a metal plate with one, or better two holes for screw fixing. They are usually attached through the metal bellows frame corner plates (you will have to drill through them) one on top and the other on the side (at the bottom). You don't need a big, heavy accordion strap, one meant for a 2-row diatonic should be perfect.

Hope this helps your poor thumb, cher !

Steve,

I just noticed something, which could make your thumb a lot less sore when playing : there is no shoulder strap with that accordion, and nothing to attach one to. I'm surprised that the maker didn't fit the brackets, mine came with them provided, and I'm sure the original owner would have fitted a strap if he had played it.

Actually, I know the pictures aren't great but, although it didn't have a strap, it does have the "D" rings in place. I took a shoulder strap off of a soft briefcase I have and it works perfectly.

As for my thumb, it's just that it's not used to being anchored. With my anglo concertina the thumb bondage thing just isn't an issue. But I'm getting used to it.

Ever heard "If I Only Had A Brain" cajun style? :D

Actually, I know the pictures aren't great but, although it didn't have a strap, it does have the "D" rings in place.

OK, if I look hard at the image of the back of it I can just make out a couple of silvery splotches against the gold of the bellows corner plates, right where I said they should be !

You wouldn't think my eyesight used to be perfect until I started to use a computer ... :huh: :blink: :wacko: B)

Ever heard "If I Only Had A Brain" cajun style?  :D

Oh, you mean " "Si Moi J'Avais Un Cerveau" ? ;)

Ye, yaille cher ! :)