Iceland?

Hello.

We are going to Iceland next month so I thought I'd ask about any concertina community in Reykjavik, or the rest of the country. Or, any sessions (or the local equivalent) for a musical afternoon or evening? Any free-reed shops?

Thanks, and regards,

David

This is the site you need: http://www.musik.is/feloge.html

We went to Iceland some years ago, it was the MOST FASCINATING place I have ever been. We also attended the iceland Accordion get together: dozens of players from all over the island. As far as i can gather there is not much of a music folk tradition, but there is a very strong music community. Hope you enjoy the island as much as I did, I can't wait to make a return visit.

david

Try Chris Foster, he has good knowledge of Iceland and it's Music. Certainly is an amazing place, although the price of alcohol is outrageous. £45 for a bottle of Jacobs Creek in the Off licence / Grog Shop . Try and hear their "Fiddla " an Icelandic sort of cross between a Violin and a Coffin, with the corpse trying to escape. Get out into the wilds STUNNING

Chris Foster organises what is, I think, Iceland's only folk festival way up in the north in July. Great fun.

The Toronto Morris Men danced there in 2012 when we toured the island.

I loved it so much, I took my wife back last summer and we are looking forward to spending a longer holiday there.

But do use duty free on the way in..........

Robin

I agree, Iceland is a fascinating place!

My wife and I did a guided tour a couple of years back, and our guide was a professional singer (she had sung Mozart's "Königin der Nacht" in Berlin, and had a pop solo CD). She introduced us to two characteristic features of Icelandic folk music: vocal harmonies in fifths, and tunes with mixed time signatures, e.g one bar 4/4, next bar 3/4, next bar 4/4 again, next two bars 2/4, then one bar 3/4 and the last three bars 4/4 - just a random sample from the Icelandic song-book I bought in Reykjavik.

Apparently indigenous instruments are rare in Iceland, because of the lack of suitable woods. That cross between a coffin and a fiddle seems to be the only really local invention.

And the landscape really is stunning. A wild, free country with neither cathedrals nor castles, whose oldest cultural heritage is the language.

Have fun there!

Cheers,

John

Yes that Singing style is downright amazing. Chris's partner Bowra used to be in a group called "Embla " I had a tour with Didi who also sang with Embla

The sulphur smell from the shower is a bit un-nerving though it comes from the Geo-thermal energy / water

Thanks to each of you for your replies. It seems summer is festival time and chance for authentic "Icelandic Trad." Since we'll be down South (4 days Reykjavik and environ so) let me be narrower in my focus. Any suggestions for bar or other venue where folk music might be played during the week? We are there Tues-Thursday nights, April 12-15. I'd love to see/hear some "fidla" up close. I will try to contact Mr. Foster, as well.

Thanks again, and regards,

David