Looking For 30 Button Anglo

cjourney

I have $800.00 to spend on an anglo and wondered if anyone had a 30 button in that price range, or my other choice is to purchase a Rochelle to start and have trade in for a better one in time. I am definitely a beginner, but have learned my scales and can play a few tunes.

Connie

As to the Rochelle, I believe it depends. Their is sufficient report of "her" usefullness for learning, but OTOH if a student would be relying very much on sound (which is of course again a matter of personal preference), he or she might be distracted and not making progress as he or she was supposed to make...

Therefore I would advise you to try (or at least listen to) one of these before buying one...

Best wishes for your journey - Wolf

The Rochelle is a remarkable instrument with a distinctive, lovely voice of its own. It's limber enough to play fast dance music (with perhaps a bit more effort than a more traditional concertina would require), and really shines when accompanying songs.

If 1) money were no object but 2) I had to choose a single instrument, then yes, I'd pick a "proper" box. But I think the Rochelle stands on its own merits--not the least of which is that it's relatively affordable. I've never owned one, but several of my students have. So far from looking down on the model, I'm a big fan.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Edited by Bob Michel

Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to go with the Rochelle with the option of trading up. I've actually played one before and think for the money and the trade in value, it's a good deal for now.

Connie

Good choice. Rochelle comes with a reasonable Tutor book, but I would recommend books by Gary Coover (of this parish) should you wish to progress to playing melodically I.e tune with chords. As a Melodeon player, this feels natural to me although I know a lot of English Conc players stick to tune only.

Don't know whether you've already made your purchase of the Rochelle, but I have a 30-button Stagi that I will sell. It's the W-15 model, which sells news for around $900. Mine is used but in great condition. It's more of the standard size that you think of for a concertina; the Rochelle is larger. Contact me if you're interested. I can send photos or answer any questions.

Thanks,

Jeff