Song Accompaniment On English Query

This query is addressed to players of English concertinas who accompany songs by playing chords for the vocal parts and melody for the turnarounds. Are the chords and melody in the same pitch range (i.e. octave)?

Rik

This query is addressed to players of English concertinas who accompany songs by playing chords for the vocal parts and melody for the turnarounds. Are the chords and melody in the same pitch range (i.e. octave)?

Sometimes.

Hi Rik,

since I play mostly the melody alongside my singing, I have the harmony resp. chords below. OTOH when accompaning a bass voice with a "treble" EC the melody can comfortably be played one octave above the singing, which sounds nice for many songs. The chords will then be in the octave of the singing voice.

However, at times I play melody in the octave of my singing, with sparse or very close harmony, or - if I omitt the melody, I would rather play the chords in a higher register than usual.

Hope that helps - feel free to ask!

Best wisches - Wolf

It's one of those "If it sounds right it IS right" things, same with anglo or any other instrument for song accompaniment. Try it. If you don't like it do something else. And you'll probably find different things work on different songs ...

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson