Iv`e Got The Ugly One

Well Alan, I took your advice and went off looking for an appropriately ugly heron. Worked for the picky bird who inhabits out neighborhood, but not the racoons!

Saw a fat little beast sitting at the edge of my pond slobbering over my fish last night! Well placed snowball sent him ambling off...but he'll be back. Would try a live trap but am also well stocked with skunks. :blink: Any sage advice from a more experienced hand?

Edited by Mark Evans

Paint a white stripe down his back. The amorous skunks will be all over him. He'll get disgusted and take off and they will take off after him. Complete problem solved.

Submitted by Helen who had a squirrel in her basement for 3 months before she successfully trapped and released him in the park. No painting included.

Helen

Well Mark, we do not have racoons over here except in zoos, but we do have foxes and they are clever ,when I had chickens one would kept my wife talking at the door while the other was jumping the fence where the chickens were.Eventually they killed the lot.One night during freezing weather the poor bedraggled fox came to our house looking for food and Jenny felt sorry for it.A daily feed made her come regularly and she got braver.Up close we noticed she had a deformed lip so we called her Lippy.She got so tame she would take food out of my hand.Her litter sister turned up one night, she was much prettier than lippy so we called her Pretty.

She was much more timid but still came to us for her feed.If I worked in the garden little Lippy would sit near me and if I told her to wait, she would put her head on one side listening and wait until I went indoors got her food ,which she took out of my hand.In the Spring they turned up with their little babies one of which got trapped in my porch over night and slept in the letter box.After a feed of cat food off she (or he) went to join the rest.Lippy sadly died a few years later,I heard her crying but could not find her and Pretty, six months later I found dying in my garden where she is buried.

Well Mark the answer to your problem was that a friend came to stay with us who had chickens and fox problems,started feeding the fox and never lost a chicken from that day on.

As for your fish the only answer is a well staked down net.

Sorry it took me a long time to get to that.

Al :)

Thanks Al,

I had just taken off the net for the winter (ice really makes it sag). I was afraid one of the beasties would get tangled up in the net and drown. Thank you for the story about Lippy, it was charming.

Helen, I'll pass on the paint. Our racoons are big, mean and I suspect rabid. Oh well, they left me a few fish last year. Perhaps they shall be as generous this time 'round. By the way, my daughter put a Santa cap on that damned plastic heron. Didn't improve it's looks one bit.