Bb/f Anglos And Ordering A Morse Uk

TedK

Hi everyone,

I have recently re-started playing the concertina after a gap of a few years- I play Anglo in what (I think) seems to be called the harmonic or English style.

I currently play a G/D but. I've been thinking recently of purchasing a Bb/F concertina, for song accompaniment and to gain access to those keys and the relative minors (I really like the sound of Dm and Gm and they're great for many fiddle tunes).

I am keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand model at a fairly affordable price, but they seem to be pretty scarce. I have contacted Chris Algar, and he told me that will keep an eye out but that he usually has them re-tuned to the more popular C/G.

Failing that, as I don't have thousands to spend, the most affordable possibility seems to be a Morse who do offer Bb/F tuning as an option. I am wondering if anyone has experience of ordering direct from them from the UK- I am a bit concerned that I may get hit with import fees or similar. I realise that "the Music Room" are a dealer for these instruments in the UK, but looking on their website they seem to add a considerable mark-up (£800 or so on the C/G models shown on their website), and I don't live close to them in any case.

Any advice appreciated.

Ted