Too Loud Too Quiet...make Up Your Minds!

I have to laugh.

At my gig last night in the Cafe, a table of three sat a couple tables back from where I play in the corner ( this is a small place, maybe seats 35-40 people). One woman of major girth and questionable attitude more than once audibly mentioned to the waiter that my music made it difficult for conversation. On the other hand one young woman, a dulcimer/fiddle player who came to hear me play, asked if I could play louder since she couldn't hear over their conversation.

Me, I just play music.

rss

I have to laugh.

At my gig last night in the Cafe, a table of three sat a couple tables back from where I play in the corner ( this is a small place, maybe seats 35-40 people). One woman of major girth and questionable attitude more than once audibly mentioned to the waiter that my music made it difficult for conversation. On the other hand one young woman, a dulcimer/fiddle player who came to hear me play, asked if I could play louder since she couldn't hear over their conversation.

Me, I just play music.

rss

Years ago, I was the musician for a now-defunct Morris dance group whose members could never agree on the proper speed for the dances.

On one memorable occasion we were dancing in a very public setting, and simultaneously, one dancer yelled " faster" and another yelled "slower." So I figured that what I was doing was just right.

My recollection of a true conversation between the leader of a band I once played in, and a slightly enibriated venue owner:

Venue Owner: Could you turn the volume down a bit, please.

Band Leader: No problem.

Venue Owner: Except for the songs I like.

Band Leader: Which songs do you like?

Venue Owner: The ones you don't play (expletive) loud enough.

(Love the alcohol-induced logic).