Anglo Read Problem

Hi All can some one suggest what to do ?

The low G pull on the C row of my concertina will not sound

.First it went up a semitone then stopped playing altogether I don't think any air is passing the read although it is free in its shoe. Thanks Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

Raising up in pitch can be a symptom of a reed trapped close to the root. The part of the reed past the tight point is shorter and swings faster so creates a higher pitch.

Not sounding and feeling as if no air is passing sounds like the reed is not moving. If it is capable of moving and doesn't start then perhaps the 'set', the small amount a reed needs to be above the frame when at rest, is not there, leading to the reed choking.

The valve ( the one on the other side of the pan), could be sucked into the reed slot.

So, check the valve is OK, check the set looks similar to other reeds around the same pitch, check the reed doesn't just swing at the tip when you gently push on it, look more closely to make sure there is nothing trapping the reed.

Thanks for your help. I reset the read but each time it only played once.I can now see that the read is broken near its root ,so I have removed the shoe and will contact Colin Dipper to see if he can make me a new one. Bob

Thanks for your help. I reset the read but each time it only played once.I can now see that the read is broken near its root ,so I have removed the shoe and will contact Colin Dipper to see if he can make me a new one. Bob

You have not said what make of concertina you have, but another option is to contact David Leese / Mark Addy at concertina-spares, they will have an exchange reed, which mean all that will be required is final adjustment to suit the concertina

Dave E

• 4 weeks later...

Very odd since broken reeds tend to go down in pitch. I'd send the whole reed/shoe back to Colin. I f you did more than lift the reed a bit and tried to sweep or blow out the obstruction, you may have simply misaligned the reed and it hung up on the edge of the window. Colin's reeds are quite tight fitting and are very difficult to get right by eye.