What Layout For A G/d Anglo

Wishing you all A Happy Christmas and New Year.

I needi some help with design of a new concertina. After hearing jody Kruskal's brilliant playing at devizes made me fancy ordering a concertina reeded G/D to replace my (although very good ) 30 button hybrid.

Here is the question.-I have a 34 Button C/G Dipper Merlin with a drone (WheatstoneLayout) .Should I mirror the same layout intervals to the G/D ?Or are there other options I should consider such as extra notes I would find usefull.I use the G/D to accompany my singing.

To mirror the same layout I suppose would save me learning two systems.

I hope I have given enough information for some of you more experienced players to advise me.

Thanks Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

I would suggest you learn the G/D with the same fingering as the C/G. I believe that's the way most concertina players who have other keyed instruments do it. This way, you will play in different keys without having to learn new fingering, just by changing instruments. If you could learn to play one instrument in all keys (a challenging task) you would not really need anything other than one concertina, unless you needed to play in another octave. In which case you could purchase a baritone.

Jody plays a modified Jeffries layout There's a low draw A on the left hand 2a accidental button and then there's also a thumb button on the left hand side which has c' on the push and g on the draw.

My C/G is Wheatstone layout and my G/D is Jeffries - the adjustment is small but challenging.

I'm actually trying to relearn how to read music for the G/D. I can play the tunes I know as though I was playing a C/G but they're in the wrong key if I want to play along with recordings or with others.

My C/G is Wheatstone layout and my G/D is Jeffries - the adjustment is small but challenging.

I'm the other way round - my C/G (30b) is in Jeffries layout and my G/D (36b) is in Wheatstone. I prefer the Jeffries layout with a smaller number of buttons - I need the top D on the pull in the top corner of the right hand on the C/G.

If I was specifying my G/D again I think I'd stick with its core Wheatstone layout (with the additional button with high G/A on the pull) but go with fewer additional accidentals and more of an overlap between the sides.