Nico Van Rensburg, Boer Music Concertina Player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJ5sbaRr5c

Hello, I found yesterday this video in youtube. I enjoied it a lot and then I post it here.

It is a documentary about Nico Van Rensburg, a boer music concertina player.

It is fine because it has a very good quality, you can see, hear and enjoy the style of the Boer Music concertina.

It is a music with a lot of swing and happyness.

Félix Castro

Nico van Rensburg passed away a few months ago. He played the concertina for more than 55 years. Many Boer Music tunes that are composed have no words to them and are meant to be enjoyed while dancing with your loved one.....some tunes are fast and some are slow.

Welcome to the world of Boer Music...

Thankyou about your wellcome.

I am sorry of hearing that Nico van Rensburg passed away, his music and the happyness of his music will last for ever...

I have listened and seen many boer music videos periodically since I discovered it some years ago. I like really it, and I think that their style have many useful things for other musical styles, spanish, galician, etc. that aren't tied to any particular concertina musical tradition.

Yes, I like a lot the style, and that waltz is wonderful. Thankyou for posting it.

I would like to learn some of the "tricks" but I think that I would need a 40 button instrument with the same layout, is it the typical wheatstone layout for a 40 button concertina?

I have to hear more boer music.

I have some similar ideas to their style, but between the ompa style and the full chording style, for some galician tunes, as we have also waltzes, mazurkas, polkas, maybe one day I can record them. Of course it won't sound as good as those ones.

We play also rumbas, that perhaps are also very suitable for these kind of acompaniment.

Hi Dirge - I was looking for the dots also. It seems that a great many of the tunes are available in a tablature sort of diagram. You learn the tune through listening and copying the rhythm using the buttons indicated on the diagram. I wasn't so sure about it - coming from a classical background it seemed odd but it makes committing the tune to memory easier. Ben Otto has been a great guide into the world of Boer Konsertina.

There is a www.boeremusiek.org.za page of a boer music club that has several information about instruments, tunes, etc. but I don't know if they have classics, as the main part of the page is in afrikaans and I only have read the english part.

I found it searching for "boer concertina" and images, but the link doesn't work today, by now.

On the other hand, Javier Tejada Ponce, a fellow member of the facebook group "Concertina en España", put yesterday a very interesting recording of boer music by Dirk Laas, Concertina Boogie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVQnDvIqtqw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hello, I don't know but in you tube appears more than seven videos of boermusic concertina tutor, just type and search konsertina and tutor and you can see them.

It is curious that in some videos, recorded with a 20 button concertina, the accompaniment is more om pa style.

The user is konsertina boeremusiek

An example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk_L4mwB3Ik

It is fine to change languages for finding different books, doccuments, videos, tutors, recordings, etc.

I don't know if english native speakers try to do this kind of searchings usually, but I, as non english speaker, I have to do it constantly, and finally I do searchs in a lot of different idioms and usually it appears different information.

I shall post in the videos section some nice chemnitzer concertina videos that I found some days ago.

Félix Castro