The Dilemma.

Dirge

Dirge, I have to admire your tenaciousness. I can only imagine how many "on 'n offs" of the face--with 8 long tiny screws--that this venture must have involved. I know I can make my wrists ache just doing minor stuff in my 'tinas guts. I did finally buy one of those small battery screwdrivers just for my instruments. You New Zealand lads still have a lot of initiative and self-reliance a century after it is needed! Are you going to serenade us with this new instrument and show off the faces? Would love a tour for the non-duet persons. shelly

Dirge, I have to admire your tenaciousness. I can only imagine how many "on 'n offs" of the face--with 8 long tiny screws--that this venture must have involved. I know I can make my wrists ache just doing minor stuff in my 'tinas guts. I did finally buy one of those small battery screwdrivers just for my instruments. You New Zealand lads still have a lot of initiative and self-reliance a century after it is needed! Are you going to serenade us with this new instrument and show off the faces? Would love a tour for the non-duet persons. shelly

Not that many; I did all of them and tested the lot at one go, then with the unhelpful ones I put a thumb over the end of the chamber with both reeds in place, sealed the top of the chamber against my lips, then blowing and sucking tests both sides quite well. Perhaps the end came off and on 4 times? It's true it always irritates me that I have 33% more screws to deal with than even an Edeo'. Wheatstones would probably say it was a further sign of their uncompromising high quality...

I was going to record something to show off the results but couldn't find my zoom. Now I see it by the monitor here, so I'll have a go. Playing it is slightly odd now; if I get in the groove and play it like the normal instrument it now is, it feels 'right', but I still tend to sheer off and play the learnt 'wrong' notes. I'm sure that will pass very fast, but as I said befopre I should have sorted this months ago and avoided all this.

a tour for the non-duet persons. shelly

I was going to record something to show off the results but couldn't find my zoom. Now I see it by the monitor here, so I'll have a go. Playing it is slightly odd now; if I get in the groove and play it like the normal instrument it now is, it feels 'right', but I still tend to sheer off and play the learnt 'wrong' notes. I'm sure that will pass very fast, but as I said befopre I should have sorted this months ago and avoided all this.

In hind sight, yes you should have sorted this at the begining. Some thoughts of blasphemous doings obviously held you back... but, as has been suggested, these gadjets are Tools for making music and should be bent to your will.

Well done by the way !

It sounds really great and nice! Could I suggest about beginning to put in internet close recorded videos for all the maccann and duet players?

They are too few videos for apreciating the style and technic for playing. :-(.

I have recorded more than 8 months ago some videos of myself playing the maccann for showing my style and thoughts about playing it for galician traditional music. I put today information in the topic about Thomas Restoin.

I have adapted my style of playing the diatonic accordion to the maccann duet. I was tempted in putting in you tube some clips that I recorded almost one year ago, as there are many about EC and AC but not about duets playing close to the camera for looking at the fingers, showing my idea of playing but they have too many mistakes (I usually has much more mistakes when recording than when playing ;-( ) and I didn't put by now. I am playing the maccann with the sime style of fingering that in my diatonic accordion, thinking in the layout as a scale broken in two (C, D, E, F and then G, A, B, C), I use almost the same fingering than when playing in a D/G accordion in E minor, using three fingerings, and it works well, I can play reasonabily quickly.

But it works i. e. in galician music, where traditional music hasn't more than a 8 notes extent. In C works greatly, with all the notes in its place, but other keys probably it works worse. In other styles of music surely it wouldn't fit very good.

I was waiting for practising the tunes more but I don't have a lot of time for practising and recording them again, and I didn't play the maccann for several months, (I am beginning again now to play it), but finally perhaps I decide to put them with your benevolence about the mistakes, mainly for showing one way of approaching the style of playing and using the fingers.

I am now searching a way of playing the left hand in oom pah style. But it is another thing.

Well done by the way !

Thank you!

And here's a little sample for you, Shelley. attachicon.gif50K taster.mp3 Never let it be said etc etc...

Dirge,

do you notice that any of the moved notes need to have their tuning adjusted ? I did not notice them during these recordings but I would expect it to be the case because even a reed that is slightly loose in its slot will give a very small change in pitch when a 'Fag paper' shim is used to firm things up. So, moving a reed to a different chamber will usually result in the need for a bit of tuning.

Sounds good though !

It sounds really great and nice! Could I suggest about beginning to put in internet close recorded videos for all the maccann and duet players?

I'd rather not!

, but finally perhaps I decide to put them with your benevolence about the mistakes

that's why. (If I understand you) I don't worry about the odd wrong note here on Cnet but they're not for general consumption. They wouldn't understand. Remember this is me playing on a newly rearranged instrument; I'd hope to be smoother and more accurate later.

Dirge,

do you notice that any of the moved notes need to have their tuning adjusted ? I did not notice them during these recordings but I would expect it to be the case because even a reed that is slightly loose in its slot will give a very small change in pitch when a 'Fag paper' shim is used to firm things up. So, moving a reed to a different chamber will usually result in the need for a bit of tuning.

Sounds good though !

Yes definitely some are now out but not enough to worry me at the moment, and one of the tricky reeds is still catching the sidewall slightly so I'll need to go back in. I thought I'd give it a few days for it all to settle a bit.

I'd rather not!

, but finally perhaps I decide to put them with your benevolence about the mistakes

that's why. (If I understand you) I don't worry about the odd wrong note here on Cnet but they're not for general consumption. They wouldn't understand. Remember this is me playing on a newly rearranged instrument; I'd hope to be smoother and more accurate later.

That is right. I recorded it many months ago, and I didn't put it thinking about re-recording it, but finally I didn't play for several months and I didn't record as well. I have just put two of my videos online and occult, I shall share the links publically with the members in another different topic.

Edited by felix castro