Scam Alert

david robertson

I believe I recognise the text on this eBay listing to have been lifted from a recent offering from Chris Algar. Pity the scammer couldn't find a picture of an Aeola to match the words! I have reported it to eBay.

I especially like the claim that the serial number #35104 "would be around 1900". The ledgers put it at Sept./Oct. 1938.

I'm curious whether this is fraudulent or ignorant. I was just looking at the buyers other auctions, and it seems to be a lot of antique stuff, and nothing musical. So perhaps the seller got it, did a little ebay "research" to find out what it is and what it is worth, and grabbed the copy from Chris's auction without knowing what any of it means, or that many people out there would know what it means, as well as what it doesn't mean. I checked the serial number to the ledger first thing, and studied the pictures for raised ends and came up with naught. Then I checked c.net, and was glad, once again, that everything concertina is being watched by a number of us.

I'd suggest that somebody more knowledgeable than I about what the model letter means send the seller the information as well as the date of manufacture, suggesting they update their listing to be accurate.

Well, it's true that this kind of thing can happen. I used to own a house in France, which was rented out through the summer. While browsing the lettings website I used to use, I was surprised to find the owner of a house some 10 miles from mine using, word for word, the same description. When challenged, her excuse was that she had only just bought the property, and wanted to get it listed quickly, without the bother of actually getting to know the area!

That being said, this one still has the reek of scammer's sweat about it if you ask me.