Music Room At The Airport

Wouldn't it be nice to have a music room at the airport for all those musical folks that are stuck there between flights? How many of us have wondered how many other musicians are sitting the around stuck at the airport bored to death? I am too shy just to break out the box and start squeezin. Shannon Airport should have one since they are the gateway for ITM, just like the first thing you see in Las Vegas when getting off the plane is the slot machines.

I agree wholeheartedly, but was disappointed to find that "The Music Room" have not opened a branch at an airport which is what I assumed this topic was about!

"The Music Room" is one of the major retailers of traditional instruments in the UK.

. . . disappointed to find that "The Music Room" have not opened a branch at an airport which is what I assumed this topic was about!

I must confess a passing wonderment to the same effect ! "Duty Free" concertinas is an interesting concept, I shall have to suggest it to Martin & John (owners of the Music Room), next time I see them.

It may still be possible to have a session at Pier B of Dublin Airport, because when they opened a pub there, about ten years ago, we (McNeill's Music Shop) were asked to provide some instruments (a guitar, bodhran, fiddle & box) for the customers to use, but I don't know if they still offer this facility.

However, I do find that simply carrying an instrument case through an airport can get you an introduction to all sorts of interesting people. In recent years I have met both George Gruhn (Gruhn Guitars, Nashville) and Mick Maloney (mandolin & banjo player) this way.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

The last time I flew out of Minneapolis, I discovered that the airport has a lovely observation lounge...high above the airport, windows on all sides, comfortable seats -- and not a soul but me the entire hour I was in there. That's not surprising, since it's not well marked, and is somewhat out of the way.

Alas, I did not have a concertina, but did have a harmonica, which I played inexpertly but with excellent acoustics.

In this area we have a kind of "floating jam session" that meets at many different venues. It's called the Fiddlers' Tour and if you click the "Jam Locations" link on that page (or this) you will see that one of the locations is the observation lounge at the Albany International :P Airport. Only happens on Tuesday evenings, though. In August, they met at the railroad station. Most of the locations are pubs, though.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by David Barnert

When I started this topic I did not know that there was a business in the UK that was called "The music room". Having a duty free music shop at the airport would be fun to visit and probably the first of its kind. I also didn't know about the floating jam session. Great idea. Having 20 or 30 musicians showing up at a predeterimined public location without the public knowing or expecting it, hints of ITM anarchy. Someday you may find yourselves surrounded by helmeted riot police, but if they are tapping their feet to the beat, everything will probably be OK.

When my band went to Estonia last year we were welcomed by our hosts playing for us in the arrivals area. We could hear them as we queued to get through immigration control. A wonderful welcome to a country who's people are wrongly aledged to be even more reserved than the English.

It was a memorable visit in every way.

Theo