Eighth Charles Wheatstone Mornington Crescent Game

That's me told then! :ph34r:

I most humbly and meekly submit to your ruling and so it seems appropriate to play "Uncle Chris' Naughty Step #3" (which strangely is both an MC move and a pleasant Morris Tune) taking me to me ancestral 'ome of

Rotherhithe

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good move.

I've been away a few days and I see that the game has developed wonderfully well in my absence, with some super moves - especially interesting is the application of obscure archival moves too.

On that note, the judicious application of Peet's Profundity allows me to move to All Saints - thereby blocking MC in 2 moves as a result of Woody's most recent move.

Edited by SteveS

Good move.

I've been away a few days and I see that the game has developed wonderfully well in my absence, with some super moves - especially interesting is the application of obscure archival moves too.

On that note, the judicious application of Peet's Profundity allows me to move to All Saints - thereby blocking MC in 2 moves as a result of Woody's most recent move.

I was hoping that you wouldn't notice that :)

O, subtle, subtle ...

Have you spotted the additional subtlety - "All Saints" incorporates St. Andrew, thereby gaining a Caledonian bonus.

I hope Samantha has spotted that.

After careful consideration, I'll invoke the Stafford Cripps gambit and move to

Bank

to put you in cheque.

I've only ever played a bifurcated lateral once before, I know it only really can be played on the southerly pass from Bank, but this is pretty classy championship play so I'll throw it in now. Might just set me up in 5 moves for a famous "Crouch Hill glide" into MC.

Shoreditch High Street

Edited by Simon H

I've only ever played a bifurcated lateral once before, I know it only really can be played on the southerly pass from Bank, but this is pretty classy championship play so I'll throw it in now. Might just set me up in 5 moves for a famous "Crouch Hill glide" into MC.

Shoreditch High Street

Unless of course some mean and uncharitable person sneaks in and plays.....

Edgware Road

....lets see how well you can glide now! :P

Shoreditch High Street

Unless of course some mean and uncharitable person sneaks in and plays.....

Edgware Road

....lets see how well you can glide now! :P

Incidentally the nastiest ever game of MC is accredited as being the ill advised attempt of Randolph Etherington-Smythe to introduce the game to Petrograd (St Petersburg) in the Tzarist Russia in late 1916. It resulted in the ruination of 23 players, certification of seven more and the death of three of the most tenacious participants. The winner, one Grigori Yefimovich Rasputin was to die shortly after followed by the fall of his patrons the Romanovs. Shortly after these events the revolution began, and all because the Tzar missed a simple opportunity to play a Cross Hampton Break and claim victory on the second move.

Indeed so, and since we are having a quick historical break it is worth noting that Louis Lachenal played an almost identical sequence against CW, the result being that he left Wheatstone's employ and formed his own company. So for once this ill-omened sequence (the bête noire, as the players of Mornington Croissant would have it) had a good outcome in the end.

Chris

I'll move to

Monument

but if it's a Mornington Croissant you're after, you're too late - the bakers shop burnt down in 1666!

Good move - applying Watson's Elemental Metropolitan Manoeuvre I'll play Baker Street.

Edited by SteveS

Sorry I've not been paying attention to the game, too busy getting married. (No excuse, I know and my MCC accreditation is at risk as a result, but there it is). Baker Street, though a terminal decline movement of some delicacy, doesn't in itself preclude play (see page 153 para 2.2 of the Watson's EMM manual) so why has it all gone quiet?

Cheers,

Chris

I've come in to the game halfway through, but if I remember rightly, if you are playing the DLR-inclusive rules then playing Baker Street involves a break for tiffin, followed by the mandatory play of a DLR station.

Cutty Sark.

I've come in to the game halfway through, but if I remember rightly, if you are playing the DLR-inclusive rules then playing Baker Street involves a break for tiffin, followed by the mandatory play of a DLR station.

Cutty Sark.

Cutty Sark - another Caledonian link - "Well done, Cutty Sark", as Burns wrote.

I'll now do a bit of messing about on the river and end up at

Putney Bridge

Cutty Sark.

Cutty Sark - another Caledonian link - "Well done, Cutty Sark", as Burns wrote.

I'll now do a bit of messing about on the river and end up at

Putney Bridge

River taxi between Putney Bridge and Cutty Sark had me thinking - my next move is of course the apt Burnt Oak

Sorry I've not been paying attention to the game, too busy getting married. (No excuse, I know and my MCC accreditation is at risk as a result, but there it is). Baker Street, though a terminal decline movement of some delicacy, doesn't in itself preclude play (see page 153 para 2.2 of the Watson's EMM manual) so why has it all gone quiet?

Well I was being quiet because I needed a lie down in a darkened room with a wet flannel over my face after the intensity of some of the recent play.

Congratulations Chris. Just as well you're the judge in this game - getting married and playing MC at the same time could lead to some unfortunate mix-ups! How does the old song go....

Pull out the stopper!

Let's have a whopper!

But get me to Bow Church DLR station on time!

...that was a move by the way (see what I did there?)

Well I was being quiet because I needed a lie down in a darkened room with a wet flannel over my face after the intensity of some of the recent play.

Pull out the stopper!

Let's have a whopper!

But get me to Bow Church DLR station on time!

...that was a move by the way (see what I did there?)

Yes, we are being very intense, with everyone circling around cautiously to see who will crack first.

I'll attempt a major south-west lateral to move to

Balham

gateway to the south.

And onwards from Bal-ham, that well known way of gates,to another Hammy location ... go north ... to that wondrous place known as Clapham Common.

Is it me good people, or is this a very long and meandering route to our desired goal ?