Skylark - Classical Music piece on English Concertina

ben

I just found an interesing Youtube video performance of "Skylark" on an English concertina. The classical music piece may be of Russian origin.

Hre is the video:

Here is another classical music piece on the English Concertina played by an elderly man:

These two video clips motivate me to try playing an EC concertina (I have been always been an exclusive anglo concertina player).

Edited by Ben

Why does it appear that the Russians do everything better than the rest of us ?

One answer to that question comes in the form of a little story;

Back in the 1980's , when I still lived in Australia, I used to go to a musical weekend that was like the Concertina weekends I see advertised on Cnet. It was, " out the Bush" and held usually in a 'Youth Camp' hut or similar place.

One time a friend had brought along a famous musician from Hungary, who happened to be touring the Antipodies at that time. Now this musician played Folk Music from his Country and the weekend in question was for Folk Music ( Instrumental and from anywhere you liked) multicultural.

So our friend arrived with the 'expected' famous musician ... as they walked into the place there was a small group of people doing their best to entertain us with a few nice arrangements, maybe five or six instruments, on a little podium in a corner....

"Ah," says our Hungarian visitor " you can tell we are in a Democracy...even the non musicians are allowed to perform!"

I realise it is not a very funny story but it is true, I was standing next to the man when he said it.

Edited by Geoff Wooff