Which Is More Wide-spread?

Depends on where your looking, in Ireland the Anglo, for multipart band playing the English, in Morris Dancing the Anglo, in my house the English. This is probably no help at all.

Somewhere in this forum is a map of the world with the C.net players and their preferences shown but I'm unable to find it. Sure someone else will point you in the right direction

Which concertina type is more wide-spread, the English or the Anglo?

Since the earth is round, it depends on where you measure from.

Or did you mean, which are there more of? :D

The map, being limited to Concertina.net members, is an incomplete representation of concertinas in the world.

E.g., I know there are several in France and Switzerland and more than just one in Japan, and I wonder if a few of those made in China haven't found their way home with factory workers. Also, I believe a couple at least vacation in Hawaii. :)

Edited by JimLucas

Which concertina type is more wide-spread, the English or the Anglo?

It should really be more a case of what do you want a concertina to do, or what kind of music do you want to play ?

Do you want one that plays a different note on push and pull, with a limited range of keys, or do you want one that plays the same note on push and pull, in any key you choose ?

I think it's a reasonable question that shouldn't be belittled with all this "it depends" stuff.

Do we have any data on which has been manufactured more often? Or which is being manufactured more now?

In the past, it was definitely the anglo.

Now, if we include the German and Italian makes -- and maybe even if we don't -- it's still the anglo.

The English comes distant second, the duets far behind.

The map, being limited to Concertina.net members

I am wondering if I am represented on this map. Is there a way of finding out? The reason I ask is that there is a green dot (English) exactly where I live (Townsville, Queensland, Australia). If it isn't me, I would like to know who it is - is this possible?

I think it's a reasonable question that shouldn't be belittled with all this "it depends" stuff.

Do we have any data on which has been manufactured more often? Or which is being manufactured more now?

In the past, it was definitely the anglo.

Now, if we include the German and Italian makes -- and maybe even if we don't -- it's still the anglo.

The English comes distant second, the duets far behind.

There. Was that so difficult? :P

I am wondering if I am represented on this map. Is there a way of finding out? The reason I ask is that there is a green dot (English) exactly where I live (Townsville, Queensland, Australia). If it isn't me, I would like to know who it is - is this possible?
If you didn't answer the survey (your profile says you joined concertina.net just a few months ago and the survey was last year, so I suspect you didn't) then it's likely to be somebody else.

Allan Atlas has the data. If he's not reading this these days (ie, if he doesn't chime in to this thread) you can reach him by clicking here.

I am wondering if I am represented on this map.
If you didn't answer the survey (your profile says you joined concertina.net just a few months ago and the survey was last year, so I suspect you didn't) then it's likely to be somebody else.

Nope, it's probably Nanette. Stephen Mills, who created the map, says here that he keeps it updated.

Allan Atlas has the data.

Y'lost me David. Which data? :unsure:

I am wondering if I am represented on this map.  Is there a way of finding out?  The reason I ask is that there is a green dot (English) exactly where I live (Townsville, Queensland, Australia).  If it isn't me, I would like to know who it is - is this possible?

Nanette, this dot is in fact you. I only just discovered your post while looking for new dots I need to add because, ironically enough, I have spent the last two weeks in Australia (Sydney and Fraser Island).

Axisandallies, you who started this thread, I was pleased to add you as the fourth Texas dot and assumed you're buying the Jackie. You might be interested to know that there is a hammered dulcimer player there who teaches Anglo at a music week in Northern California. His name is Cliff Moses; you can find his webpage by googling. I doubt he can help you with English, however. He is not a c.net member, BTW.

New member fergie, if you read this and want to be placed where you live, rather than in the middle of Ireland, email me the name of your city. Other members, similarly.

A final point. The original map was constructed from the data supplied in the biosketch and seems clearly in the public domain. To make the far more complete map, I scan the postings themselves for location and probable type (making some errors, no doubt.) I've never been sure whether I should pass out names on request; so far there have been none. On the one hand, you are posting information in a public place. On the other, I wouldn't want to inhibit postings for fear of being added to a public database in an unintended fashion. Am I being unduly squeamish? I've never decided what policy I'll follow.

There, and now I'm also officially chatty to boot.

Stephen Mills

your obedient cartographer and chatty yellow dot in Houston

edited because I see I misspelled Sydney

edited again because I misspelled "misspelled".

Edited by Stephen Mills

You might be interested to know that there is a hammered dulcimer player there who teaches Anglo at a music week in Northern California.  His name is Cliff Moses; you can find his webpage by googling.  I doubt he can help you with English, however.  He is not a c.net member.

Agh! Agh! I say.

The is an anglo player somewhat near Austin, and he teaches workshops in the concertina on occasion? Where was this information 2 years ago?

Now to see if I can pressure him into giving private lessons.