My First Concertina

Greetings Everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a while now trying to get a feel for what would be a good buy for a first concertina. Unfortunately there is no definitive answer. I am a poor student who has way too many bills and need something that's going to be reliable and bring me much joy. I don't have much to spend, but am willing to spend what I can so that I can bring a little light into my life. I am in love with the concertina, and have heard them played by family friends now long since passed on. I am already addicted, and don't even have one.

I ask you, the most knowledgable community on the internet to make a reccomendation for me that will not have me throwing away the only extra money I will have for probably the next two years.

I would appreciate comments.

Well its hard to give you good suggestions without some idea of your price range. Everything depends on how much you are willing to spend. If its under $1000 your only real choice is Stagi or maybe Hohner (The Chinese concertinas are just too awkward in my opinion). If you can go between $1400 and $2000 there is a wide range of accordion reeded concertinas many of them quite good that will give you many many years of service.

I've seen some Stagis and Hohners online for around $200.  That is about all i can really afford right now.

I can really sympathise, because I was in the same position, as a student in Manchester 30+ years ago, but then there were antique dealers and junk shops to scour, and I advertised in the local newspaper too, finally finding an out-of-tune metal-ended Lachenal anglo for £17.50 ($31.50), which was a lot of money to me at the time.

However, a word of warning, I then (another term) didn't feel that I could afford a Hohner 4-stop melodeon, which also cost £17.50, so I bought a cheap East German 3-stop instead, for £8.50 ($15.25), that nearly broke my heart, it was so poor compared with the Hohner.

So what I am saying to you is; be prepared to look hard for a good buy, and don't "make do" with the cheapest one you can find.

Good hunting !

Well if possible, try the instrument before you buy. Stagis are not great instruments but they are serviceable unlike the chinese instruments their key spacing is about the same as a regular concertina. I think it is safe to say that Stagis 30 button instruments are definitely better than their 20 button instruments.

I am in love with the concertina, and have heard them played by family friends now long since passed on.  I am already addicted, and don't even have one.

Which kind did they play? The anglo seems assumed, but I think it's worth asking.

I ask you, the most knowledgable community on the internet to make a reccomendation for me that will not have me throwing away the only extra money I will have for probably the next two years.

Simple answer: Rent.

The initial outlay will be much less for a much better instrument. (Any current "excess" can go into a bank account for later payments.)

Those who rent concertinas make sure you that what you get is in good shape and in good tune.

When you have more money, you can buy either the same instrument or another one. In the meantime, you might even move up to renting a better one.

I think all those who rent -- at least those with a presence on Concertina.net -- give partial credit on what you've already paid if/when you buy.

Jim's right- and if you live anywhere in North America, there are places you can rent from. The Button Box advertises all over this site, and they will mail you a rental.

I started out renting a Stagi, and within 3 months I was ready for an upgrade. Fortunately I was able to buy a nice mid-range instrument.

Good luck, and welcome to the nicest addiction you could possibly have!

:)

Well, here's a possible answer based on what you said.

I am in love with the concertina, and have heard them played by family friends now long since passed on. I am already addicted, and don't even have one.

First, a true story about an aquaintance's first set of pipes. This fellow went around Ireland and asked just about everyone "Tell me, now. D'ye still have that old set of pipes?' Finally, someone said 'yes' and the aquaintance went over and played them. 'Brings a tear to me eye to hear them again...' and a deal was struck.

While an old set of pipes in a home Ireland would be a more common event than an old concertina in the U.S., it wouldn't be impossible to inquire of your family friends 'What happened to that old concertina?' Who knows? You might get one just for the asking!

K

Unfortunately I've already asked, and they want to hold on to the 'tinas for sentimental reasons. Thanks for your suggestions about renting one, though. I'll look into it. I've found a 20 button Stagi on ebay for 89.00. Anyone think this is a good deal? Comes with a case and early instructions.

I was in the exact situation as you 6 months ago. First I fell for the 20 button $89 'Morelli' (real Italian engineering was in the description) concertina on e-bay which was made in China. Last month I bought a Stagi, their top-of-line 30 button from a discount store. Read my grief with this in the repair and constructions section. If I could do it all over again I would rent!

Simple answer:  Rent.
Now there's a solution that didn't occur to me, but for the very simple reason that it wasn't an option when I started, and probably still isn't in the UK or Ireland.

I believe you can rent concertinas from The Music Room in England.

First I fell for the 20 button $89 'Morelli'  (real Italian engineering was in the description) concertina on e-bay which was made in China.

I have been looking at the advertising of these instruments, on eBay, with some concern, and have been considering making a complaint to eBay about it. I doubt very much if they could get away with it under EU Consumer Law, as their advertising is blatantly designed to mislead, instruments that are very obviously (to someone in the Music Trade) made in China being promoted as being of superior quality and "made by German (or Italian) engineering". However, I understand there is much less consumer protection in the United States ?

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Well, thanks for steering me clear of the bad stuff on ebay. I guess Im left to consider either renting or buying the Hohner D-40. Does anyone see buying this Hohner to learn on as a bad thing? I do plan to upgrade eventually, but is this s good instrument to learn on?

Please let me know!

Would you consider an English system Concertina? I am learning to play on a Jackie from the Concertina Connection. Currently $260 US to buy, it comes with first class customer service. It's Chinese made, and only 30 buttons. But if you aren't dead set on an Anglo you might consider it.

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/

And they take it back in trade if you upgrade through them.

"To facilitate upgrading, we offer a full purchase price refund when the Jackie is traded in for a vintage concertina or one of our Geuns-Wakker models. This offer is not limited by any time frame."

I am not involved with the Concertina Connection in any way except as a customer. But I am a happy customer!

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"