Harry Mousdell

I'm very sad to have to announce the death of Harry Mousdell. He had been unwell for some time and died in a hospice in Crawley. Harry was a major figure on the folk scene in Sussex for many many years, and a founder of Horsham Folk Club as well as Chanctonbury and Broadwood Morris Men and also a popular and rumbustuous dance caller. He was a friend of the late Scan Tester and regularly drove Scan round to various sessions. Harry himself was no mean performer on the anglo, and played in the same "octave" style as Scan.

He will be deeply missed by all on the Sussex folk scene.

I'm very sad to have to announce the death of Harry Mousdell. He had been unwell for some time and died in a hospice in Crawley. Harry was a major figure on the folk scene in Sussex for many many years, and a founder of Horsham Folk Club as well as Chanctonbury and Broadwood Morris Men and also a popular and rumbustuous dance caller. He was a friend of the late Scan Tester and regularly drove Scan round to various sessions. Harry himself was no mean performer on the anglo, and played in the same "octave" style as Scan.

He will be deeply missed by all on the Sussex folk scene.

Yes, very sad news, indeed. Here's a video of him singing Yellow Handkerchief at Horsham Folk Club in 2010.

Thanks tony and Chris. Harry was a great character and had been involved for more years than I cvare to remember. RIP

Harry was one of those members of Chanctonbury Ring (along with, notably, Paul Setford) who helped a bunch of gormless but enthusiastic students, including me, to start a morris side at the University of Sussex in 1966-7. (The side survives as Brighton Morris, I believe.)

He was certainly a great influence on me. Many elements of his "spiel" to the crowd travelled with me and reappeared during my years with Kemp's Men of Norwich. But perhaps what influenced me most was his attitude to the dance: "If you're not sweating like a pig, you're not doing it right!"

Thanks for posting this Tony.

Harry was a great showman, singer,concertina and tambourine player.A major influence in the Folk Scene around Sussex.

He regularly attended the Charlwood Sing arounds and was one of the initial members.

He was also a regular at the Blachhorse Nuthurst where you and I Tony played many a duet on the Anglo together

I shall miss him and his friendship.

I shall try and get to Rusper if I can,bit more difficult as I now live in Suffolk.

Al