Tenor/treble Edeophone for sale

david robertson

Since my eBay listing seems to have been greeted by a spontaneous outburst of indifference, I thought I'd offer this cracking Edeophone here, at the eBay starting price of £2750.

Serial number 50247, it is newly restored (pads, valves, bushings, straps etc), and all the woodwork has been stripped and refinished in French polish. Tuned to concert pitch,

it plays beautifully, loud or soft. In my opinion, it runs a TT Aeola very close in performance, but of course, costs at least £1000 less.

If there's anything else I can tell you, please ask - or if you'd like to have a squeeze here in Norwich, drop me a PM.

Since my eBay listing seems to have been greeted by a spontaneous outburst of indifference, I thought I'd offer this cracking Edeophone here, at the eBay starting price of £2750.

Serial number 50247, it is newly restored (pads, valves, bushings, straps etc), and all the woodwork has been stripped and refinished in French polish. Tuned to concert pitch,

it plays beautifully, loud or soft. In my opinion, it runs a TT Aeola very close in performance, but of course, costs at least £1000 less.

If there's anything else I can tell you, please ask - or if you'd like to have a squeeze here in Norwich, drop me a PM.

It looks lovely, David. What a shame I already possess, a TT, a Wheatstone Aeola. However, there are some people who rate Edeophones more highly than Aeolas. I believe Wim Wakker of the Concertina Connection, does, for one, having converted his own instrument to a rivetted action. I do hope it finds a good home.

Chris

[quote name='Chris Drinkwater' timestamp='1336952648' post='136095'

It looks lovely, David. What a shame I already possess, a TT, a Wheatstone Aeola. However, there are some people who rate Edeophones more highly than Aeolas. I believe Wim Wakker of the Concertina Connection, does, for one, having converted his own instrument to a rivetted action. I do hope it finds a good home.

Chris

Thanks for that, Chris. As it happens, I am in PX negotiations with another member of this parish - a donation to C.net follows if we reach a successful conclusion.

David

It's very beautiful, thanks!

Would love to give it a squeeze to compare how like for like it actually is. I'd use as a spare when getting my Aeola serviced, i.e. if we come out of recession and I land a paid job! If I'm in the vicinity or passing I'll try and get in touch with you. 2 things I'd undoubtedly need to adjust is: 1) change to 8-fold bellows; 2) match a modification that has been done to my equivalent Aeola - not saying what! and 3) get hand straps fitted [PS : oh good, the hand strap holes are pre-fitted, excellent!].

Otherwise the mimicry is just about there. I'm sure the experts will be able to point out the mechanical and sound nuances. To me, simply its sound would coax me!

Looks similar age to mines, i.e. 100years!

Out of interest does anyone know the date of this?

Edited by kevin toner

It's very beautiful, thanks!

...2) match a modification that has been done to my equivalent Aeola - not saying what! and 3)...

OK will say what: If I was able to purchase this, I'd check to see if the Dsharp3 reed tongue has been soldered-up down to a Bflat2; and if not, I'd have it done. I think that this might have been a common thing in the past, but that's for the concertina history forum I suppose...!

Thanks for posting onto the forum and best wishes for the sale

Edited by kevin toner

If I was able to purchase this, I'd check to see if the Dsharp3 reed tongue has been soldered-up down to a Bflat2; and if not, I'd have it done. I think that this might have been a common thing in the past, but that's for the concertina history forum I suppose...!

Common?

I may have encountered the idea once before, but not more than that. It would be similar, though, to replacing the low G# on a treble with F, the only alteration to the standard layout that I've seen in more than one example (not counting different ranges or transposing instruments).

But I wonder why Bb, yet not B, A, or G? Well, I agree that extending this particular discussion should probably be done elsewhere and in its own thread, so I'll try starting a new topic after I get back from feeding the sheep (for my friend, who is away)... if you or someone else doesn't beat me to it. :)

• 4 weeks later...