protecting leather handles

I recently had to replace a couple leather straps on my anglo concertina, and I wondered what some of you may be doing

to preserve or protect the leather handles. Do you apply leather balm or something similar to keep the leather from drying out

and stay supple? If so, what do you use?

I also have noticed that the concertina case is causing most of the problem. Is there a way to avoid or lessen bending the leather

handles when placing an anglo concertina in the case?

could you show us what your case looks like? i am not aware of cases damaging straps... as they are made of leather, there is a natural shelf life to straps. i would say that the best way to keep them supple is to keep using them! i myself go through at least 2 sets of straps a year, but most people should be able to get a couple years or a decade out of them.

It's a standard box shaped case opening from the top, nothing unusual. The case fits closely, but there is a little room for the handles.

However, the handles are forced in next to the instrument in the case, causing the leather to bend at the top. From your reply about

the shelf life for leather handles, maybe I've been lucky they have lasted this long.

Are either of you using cut back straps and do they tear from the palm side (as it were) every time? If so try some symmetrically shaped ones instead. The cutaway design might work if it was made of something unforgiving, but in leather it puts all the strain down one side of the bottoms of the strap as the back of the strap tries to get across in line with the strain on it. It starts to rip off the moment you pick it up. I cut my own straps completely symmetrical these days and find them extremely comfortable; I lost absolutely nothing I could detect by moving in this direction. With an Anglo you might even gain a bit by taking some slack out of the system.

But I agree with David on the basic principle; all they seem to need is sweat, a little blood and an occasional frustrated tear.

I understand the case part of the original question too; until I worked out my own brief for the things I got through them regularly and looked askance at anything that might help the process, like bending them over to put in the case. (Not that I use the case from one month to the next.)

Edited by Dirge

could you show us what your case looks like? i am not aware of cases damaging straps... as they are made of leather, there is a natural shelf life to straps. i would say that the best way to keep them supple is to keep using them! i myself go through at least 2 sets of straps a year, but most people should be able to get a couple years or a decade out of them.

David,

Why do they not last for you?

Chris

David,

Chris

Experience has taught me that, unsurprisingly, it is all a matter of the qualities of the leather chosen. I have had straps that had limited life no matter how I treated them but I eventually found a superior product which has served me well for many( at least ten )years with no maintenance and no signs of deterioration whatsoever.

I myself go through at least 2 sets of straps a year, but most people should be able to get a couple years or a decade out of them.

What on earth are you doing with them? I don't think I've ever had to replace straps on my concertinas through wear and tear. One is 40 years old this year and they're probably the original straps. I just apply a bit of shoe polish now and again, mainly for cosmetic reasons.

If an instrument hasn't been played for many years the leather may have dried out and the straps may need replacing. After that I can see no reason why they shouldn't last more or less indefinitely.

It's a standard box shaped case opening from the top, nothing unusual. The case fits closely, but there is a little room for the handles.

However, the handles are forced in next to the instrument in the case, causing the leather to bend at the top. From your reply about

the shelf life for leather handles, maybe I've been lucky they have lasted this long.

so, what's wrong with them bending? they should still work...

Are either of you using cut back straps and do they tear from the palm side (as it were) every time? If so try some symmetrically shaped ones instead. The cutaway design might work if it was made of something unforgiving, but in leather it puts all the strain down one side of the bottoms of the strap as the back of the strap tries to get across in line with the strain on it. It starts to rip off the moment you pick it up. I cut my own straps completely symmetrical these days and find them extremely comfortable; I lost absolutely nothing I could detect by moving in this direction. With an Anglo you might even gain a bit by taking some slack out of the system.

But I agree with David on the basic principle; all they seem to need is sweat, a little blood and an occasional frustrated tear.

I understand the case part of the original question too; until I worked out my own brief for the things I got through them regularly and looked askance at anything that might help the process, like bending them over to put in the case. (Not that I use the case from one month to the next.)

no, my straps are not symmetric. i guess they would be cut away. when i play, they stretch on both of the sides where they connect to the instrument. for my latest straps i had the thumb-side leather widened, so they have stretched less. personally, i can't use symmetric straps because i need the "cut away" for leverage on the thumb side.

David,

Chris

i am very hard on my straps. i use a lot of tension to (attempt) to get different tone colors, sounds and articulations. i've been thinking that maybe they might stretch less with smaller (nonstandard) hand rests, but i haven't gone through the trouble yet of getting new rests designed.

I myself go through at least 2 sets of straps a year, but most people should be able to get a couple years or a decade out of them.

What on earth are you doing with them? I don't think I've ever had to replace straps on my concertinas through wear and tear. One is 40 years old this year and they're probably the original straps. I just apply a bit of shoe polish now and again, mainly for cosmetic reasons.

If an instrument hasn't been played for many years the leather may have dried out and the straps may need replacing. After that I can see no reason why they shouldn't last more or less indefinitely.

i'm just playing them, ;) . i've only ripped one pair of straps, but i seem to stretch them within a few hours and then progressively over a few months. for my current set of straps, i've basically stopped tightening them once they stretch to make them last longer.

as for why i stretch them out, i would say it's completely my fault. i am very hard on my concertinas. when i play, i put a lot of pressure on the inside of the concertinas (against the valves and pads) by playing loudly and in the staccato style. i'm also hard against the outside of the concertina, in the attempt to eke out different sounds from the reeds. i get a lot of tone my tone control by briefly pulling against the straps with the top of my hand while simultaneously pushing against both the sides of the instrument and the buttons in different ways. i do these sorts of things for a split second, which get different sorts of articulations, attacks and tone colors. they don't last the entirety of the note, but they end up pushing against the straps at high pressure, enough to stretch the straps.

oh, and as an aside, for the last two years i had to play very loudly most of the time. this is because i was either playing with people who were mic'ed while i was not, or responsible for leading or filling out the sound of a ceili band in loud venues. this puts a lot of stress on straps! i've since cut back on both activities.

i'm not sure if this is a good example of my playing to illustrate what i'm talking about, but i would say at that point in my life my general technique and approach was even harder on the straps than it is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_NXCYUtpQ8

overall, i would agree with you that straps can last a lifetime for most people. although i do not portend to put myself on the same plane, i've seen noel hill break straps in half while playing, and i know that he replaces them from time to time. also, once i discussed my strap issues with micheál ó raghallaigh. he told me that whenever he gets a set of straps that he likes, he makes sure to get several pairs so he doesn't have to go without. so, i'm assuming that means he won't be playing the same sets of straps for more than a year or two, ;)

i suppose if i got thicker straps they might last longer, but i like supple leather, and if figure that violinists replace their bow hair several times a year, i can go through a pair of straps or two a year, too, B). as time goes on, i have been tending to get a lighter touch overall, but at the same time when i do press hard into the sides and against the straps i press even harder. part of this is because i have been incidentally strengthening my fingers through rock climbing twice a week B)

Edited by david_boveri

That's interesting.. I carry round spare springs and pads, but it would never occur to have spare straps as well. Perhaps it's in the nature of Irish-style playing that it puts more stress on the straps. I also use tension to adjust hand position, but clearly not as forcefully as you do.

That's interesting.. I carry round spare springs and pads, but it would never occur to have spare straps as well. Perhaps it's in the nature of Irish-style playing that it puts more stress on the straps. I also use tension to adjust hand position, but clearly not as forcefully as you do.

i don't think i would ever carry around an extra pair of straps, but i do preemptively change them before an important gig or competition. once i get some straps designed how i would like, i'm hoping to go through a pair of straps every 2 years, but right now i'm stuck on twice a year, though i never want to rip through another pair, again!