Reeds don't seem to want to leave the pans...

Hey guys,

I'm tooling through my concertina right now and a friend suggested I remove the reeds from the reedpan to take a look underneath. I thought this was a fabulous idea until I tried to do so and the reed wouldn't budge. I (VERY GENTLY) applied more pressure to the reed but it seems to be quite fixed in its habits. There are no screws besides the ones holding the reed itself, and I know I don't want to futz with those. Are my reeds glued in? Is that normal at all? Any tips on getting cantankerous reed carriers out of the pan?

--Dan

Hey guys,

I'm tooling through my concertina right now and a friend suggested I remove the reeds from the reedpan to take a look underneath. I thought this was a fabulous idea until I tried to do so and the reed wouldn't budge. I (VERY GENTLY) applied more pressure to the reed but it seems to be quite fixed in its habits. There are no screws besides the ones holding the reed itself, and I know I don't want to futz with those. Are my reeds glued in? Is that normal at all? Any tips on getting cantankerous reed carriers out of the pan?

--Dan

don't try to lift them out of the pan; take out the entire pan and push them out towards the rim of the pan.

Some times the reeds are very tight in their slots due to slight wood shrincage... if the weather where you are is very dry they could be just too tight to budge without a good bit of force. If the reeds are not giving you a problem I would leave them be... it is unlikely that they are glued-in but it could be possible that someone has done that to stop them rattling about... not a recommended thing to do.

On the contrary, it's actually a persistent buzzing that has me trying to get the reed out in the first place...I'll have another go and see if I can't convince it. I was afraid that it might have been wood shrinkage, as there doesn't seem to be too much I can do about that. Maybe gently use a screwdriver or something to ease it out?

--Dan

On the contrary, it's actually a persistent buzzing that has me trying to get the reed out in the first place...I'll have another go and see if I can't convince it. I was afraid that it might have been wood shrinkage, as there doesn't seem to be too much I can do about that. Maybe gently use a screwdriver or something to ease it out?

--Dan

Ah well, yes the buzzing will most likely be because the wood is squeezing the reed frame and allowing the reed tougue to touch the side of the frame. I did have one reed that was touching the side of the slot in the reedpan underneath the reed assembly, but that is a rare occurrence caused by imperfect work during manufacture.

Best to get that reed out for a close look... carefully though !

It took me by surprise when it finally came out! Turns out all it needed was determination.

I took a look at the reed, the frame, and the pan. It would seem to be a squeezing situation here. In point of fact, just easing the frame in and out of the pan a few times did a got lot to get it to a more comfortable fit - and a much more pleasant sound!

--Dan

What I have found works with reeds that don't want to slide out is to gently tap them out using a piece of softwood. I put the reed pan between my knees thus holding it by the edges (flat on a surface might cause damage to other side) and tap against the reed holder/screws with a piece of pine cut 1/4 x 1/2 x 8 inches. One end of this stick is placed against the reed holder and tapped gently on the opposite end of the stick. To ensure that I don't apply too much force, I only tap with pliers (NOT a hammer). I use softwood to ensure that any dmage caused is to the stick.

Often the stuck ones have been shimmed with paper. I suspect the paper absorbs moisture and sort of glues them in place. Note that if the reed in question is paper shimmed, the shimmimg should only be at the ends. See Dave's book for details. Could be a source for your buzzing problem.

Some times the reeds are very tight in their slots due to slight wood shrincage... if the weather where you are is very dry they could be just too tight to budge without a good bit of force. If the reeds are not giving you a problem I would leave them be... it is unlikely that they are glued-in but it could be possible that someone has done that to stop them rattling about... not a recommended thing to do.

I have a concertina currently undergoing resto work that has glued-in reeds - I can see they're glued in by the residue that has squeezed out from under & between the reed frames & reedpan - looks like bone glue to me - in which case warming the reed frames with a soldering iron may be enough to soften the glue to enable the reeds can be removed.