Another strange noise.

Sorry, I seem to be pestering with so many questions. I have a few notes where, if you play them very slowly and quietly, just after the reed sounds there is a sort of click and then a good sustained note, I'm guessing it may be the valve fully closing. All the valves are new and I've checked them. Will this just "play in" as the valves bed down? It only happens on a few.

Thanks.

Andy.

That is the typical description of a valve not lying flat so it closes when pressure is applied with the bellows. Even with new valves this can happen if for example the valve has a defect, eg a crease, so it fails to close, or it is catching on the side of the reed chamber. Sometimes the former can be cured by stroking the surface of the valve with the flat of a screwdriver blade which slightly stretches the top surface. If the latter then replace the valve positioning it clear of the chamber wall.

That is the typical description of a valve not lying flat so it closes when pressure is applied with the bellows. Even with new valves this can happen if for example the valve has a defect, eg a crease, so it fails to close, or it is catching on the side of the reed chamber. Sometimes the former can be cured by stroking the surface of the valve with the flat of a screwdriver blade which slightly stretches the top surface. If the latter then replace the valve positioning it clear of the chamber wall.

Thank you Theo. That's brilliant. I'll have a close look and probably replace those valves. I bought two beautiful hides of hair sheep yesterday which should keep me in valves for the next 10 years!

Cheers

Andy.