Lachenal Anglo

tingfod

Hello everyone. I have recently purchased a vintage Lachenal English (pics coming soon). However, I saw this Lachenal on the Oxfam site and was wondering if anyone was familiar with this instrument or had an opinion on the asking price. Info is found here.

IMHO you can do better for $700-$750 USD that it will cost you to buy and get this concertina to America.

Several points: The RH hand rest will be stamped "steel reeds" which are generally more desirable in this type of instrument. Otherwise assume brass reeds.

Chance of an instrument exhibiting condition like this being in tune with itself let alone standard is remote. There will likely be a necessity to change valves and pads and patch the bellows. So be prepared to add anywhere from $100-$400 in reconditioning expenses.

Similar ebay offerings with the same condition caveats normally sell for $150-$250.

Unless you are committed to learning concertina repair the least time consuming path is to buy a reconditioned 20b from a reputable dealer. I normally sell these instruments in tune, with all necessary replacements and in excellent playing condition for $500-$600.

Best,

Greg

IMHO you can do better for $700-$750 USD that it will cost you to buy and get this concertina to America.

Several points: The RH hand rest will be stamped "steel reeds" which are generally more desirable in this type of instrument. Otherwise assume brass reeds.

Chance of an instrument exhibiting condition like this being in tune with itself let alone standard is remote. There will likely be a necessity to change valves and pads and patch the bellows. So be prepared to add anywhere from $100-$400 in reconditioning expenses.

Similar ebay offerings with the same condition caveats normally sell for $150-$250.

Unless you are committed to learning concertina repair the least time consuming path is to buy a reconditioned 20b from a reputable dealer. I normally sell these instruments in tune, with all necessary replacements and in excellent playing condition for $500-$600.

Greg, thank you for your reply! I am in fact interested in learning repair and reconditioning. However, if the instrument is likely to need the repairs you mention, it seems quite over priced!

Edited by tingfod

I would think around £100-£150 on Ebay. Well overpriced at £450. Even overhauled and tuned, with steel reeds you might be looking at this figure, with brass reeds maybe £300.

Malcolm

I suppose that if £450 would be the top-end for a overhauled, tuned steel reed instrument, it would be best to buy from a reputable dealer as Greg suggests. Thank you Malcolm!

Kevin

Hello everyone. I have recently purchased a vintage Lachenal English (pics coming soon). However, I saw this Lachenal on the Oxfam site and was wondering if anyone was familiar with this instrument or had an opinion on the asking price. Info is found here.

you may want to check here:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13180

It's the standard "off the shelf" (pun optional) type they're offering here... nothing left to add on top of what's been written before.

Happy New Year to Everybody!

Edited by Ruediger R. Asche

I would think around £100-£150 on Ebay. Well overpriced at £450. Even overhauled and tuned, with steel reeds you might be looking at this figure, with brass reeds maybe £300.

Malcolm

I suppose that if £450 would be the top-end for a overhauled, tuned steel reed instrument, it would be best to buy from a reputable dealer as Greg suggests. Thank you Malcolm!

Kevin

I got a 20 key Lachenal Anglo S/N 74298 about 9 months ago on EBay for £300 - completely refurbished. It had one sticky reed which the seller helped me clear.

David