My Abc2win Program Has A Problem

We have Windows XP. I have successfully used my registered copy of ABC2WIN with no problem, and all the options worked okay (printing, playing in DOS, editing, adding a new tune, etc.).

For a few days, I haven't been able to 'Add New' (tune) or to edit any ones already created as .abc files.

This doesn't make much sense to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I could try? (True, I haven't cried in a while, could probably use a good cry...but, no, that won't help!) :(

:) Thanks, if any help.

> I haven't cried in a while,

Crying might be a good response.

Sorry to say, I find abc2win less than stable on XP -- less stable than on previous Windows versions. There hasn't been an update for years.

You can try deleting the INI file and letting it rebuild itself, or do a clean install. Those solutions have sometimes helped me.

But it's a weird program. It apparently doesn't like my current printer driver and misfires 50 percent of the time when printing.

I think little errors are present in many of the ABC files downloaded from Web sources, and they cause some of the flaky behavior. Unless you're a real ABC expert, it's hard to troubleshoot those.

Wish I could be more encouraging. I use the program all the time and have hundreds of tunes stored in ABC files, but curse almost every time I load it up. Alas, there are not a lot of viable alternatives.

Edited by Jim Besser

Any error messages?

Can the Open File window "see" the abc files?

Have you checked the properties on the abc file for read-only?

Well...at least it's the season for gardening, now. Something else to do, that I can't do in winter, when I sit frozen at the computer... ;)

Um, no error message, and something does seem to appear in the bottom 'bar' but I can't get it to show. The read-only files...there doesn't seem to be that option, and I've looked all over.

I think Jim Besser is right about other's files causing some flakiness.

And thanks, Dave...I'll try those links.

Jim,

I have found the same as you - when printing, it will do two or three lines then freeze so I have to have two or three attempts, then it works fine.

No problems printing with anything else.

It really looks like a read-only file problem. You need to use your file explorer in Windows, not abc2win, to locate the files, and check the properties. Make sure they're not read-only an/or archive. Just as a test, edit the abc files with notepad or any text editing program. If it allows you to edit the file while your abc program won't allow it, then there's a problem with abc2win.

> have found the same as you - when printing, it wil

>l do two or three lines then freeze so I have to have

> two or three attempts, then it works fine.

The problem appears to be printer specific. I didn't have the problem with my last printer, but have it consistently with the new laser -- which works fine with every other program.

ABC2win is incredibly frustrating, but there aren't many alternatives.

I don't use ABC2win, I find I don't need to because we have an excellent alternative here on Concertina.net! I write my ABC files in notepad, put them onto the ABC Convert a Matic in the Tune o Tron to check them out. I will then download and print them in Acrobat Reader. When I get them polished, I intend to submit them to the Tune o Tron.

I don't use ABC2win, I find I don't need to because we have an excellent alternative here on Concertina.net!

You're right -- yes, I use the Tune-O-Tron 'converter' thing sometimes to work on copies whether or not I'll actually submit them to the Tune-O-Tron.

It's possible to still play the midi and print the PDF sheet music even without actually posting the tune.

Though, I do sometimes post the tune!

I guess, as long as I can do that, I really haven't lost too many options---just the use of my own, offline copy of ABC2Win.

I do use Noteworthy Composer a lot, but sometimes I'd put a melody into ABC format, then use the ABC2NWC software to convert that.

Oh, well. I'll get over it.

Edited by bellowbelle