neck strap

ido

You could always use the picture as a model and make one yourself.

Try using a neck cord similar to those used with spectacles.

They don't cost more than a few $s.

You can make leather loops through which to pass the cord and which are in turn attached under the thumbstrap screws.

I use a neck strap from my bass recorder. You can get similar neck straps for saxophones - should be available at most music shops.

The main problem is an effective way of fitting it to the instrument but the picture from the button box has given me an idea.

32$ for a neck strap is alot there is nothing cheaper?

why does it cost so much? what is it hand made?

Hi Edo

There has been mention in the past of a camera strap from the local big box store that's inexpensive, ready made and adjustable. Or the other extreme could be custom made from Vince Brennan:

http://www.frayedknotarts.com/specials.html

Thanks

Leo

I use a camera strap which I attach to the thumb strap metal loops.

A (broad) camera strap may be a good idea but attaching it to the thumb strap doesn't sound ideal. Neither is the trad way using the thumb strap screw unless the inlaid nut is reinforced by a machine screw with a nut inside the frame instead of the original wood screw. Attaching the neck strap by using a couple of endbolts ought to be a better way.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a camera strap which I attach to the thumb strap metal loops.

A (broad) camera strap may be a good idea but attaching it to the thumb strap doesn't sound ideal. Neither is the trad way using the thumb strap screw unless the inlaid nut is reinforced by a machine screw with a nut inside the frame instead of the original wood screw. Attaching the neck strap by using a couple of endbolts ought to be a better way.

Well I attach it to the metal loops not to the thumb strap itself and it

doesn't seem to cause any significant wear or damage. However you are right, it

could be more securely attached using bolts through the end frame but I have

hesitated from doing this because it requires drilling holes and making a permanent

alteration to the concertina.

Well I attach it to the metal loops not to the thumb strap itself and it

doesn't seem to cause any significant wear or damage. However you are right, it

could be more securely attached using bolts through the end frame but I have

hesitated from doing this because it requires drilling holes and making a permanent

alteration to the concertina.

You got me wrong or I wasn't clear enough. You do NOT drill any holes - you use the present endbolts! The best way is to attach a ca 200mm long intermediate strap between one pair of endbolts each side and then attach your neckstrap at any suitable position at the intermediate strap.A handy way doing this is using the type of metal clips for braces/suspenders. The reason for this arrangement is that the the ideal balancing position of the instrument varies depending on how you hold it. At the best in a low position with neckstrap vertical. NOT the trad way with horisontal forearms which causes harmful load on the neck. As a matter of fact you rather NOT use a *neck*-strap at all since the neck is a very vulnerable part of the body. Put the strap over one *shoulder* instead and try out which one that is most comfortable for your own way handling the bellows.

You got me wrong or I wasn't clear enough. You do NOT drill any holes - you use the present endbolts! The best way is to attach a ca 200mm long intermediate strap between one pair of endbolts each side and then attach your neckstrap at any suitable position at the intermediate strap.A handy way doing this is using the type of metal clips for braces/suspenders. The reason for this arrangement is that the the ideal balancing position of the instrument varies depending on how you hold it. At the best in a low position with neckstrap vertical. NOT the trad way with horisontal forearms which causes harmful load on the neck. As a matter of fact you rather NOT use a *neck*-strap at all since the neck is a very vulnerable part of the body. Put the strap over one *shoulder* instead and try out which one that is most comfortable for your own way handling the bellows.

Well that is an interesting suggestion and I will try it out.