Extra buttons on Lachaneal Rosewood Anglo

I'm restoring a rosewood 32 key Lacenal anglo and am now at the tuning stage. After having tuned the reeds for the main 30 buttons I now come to the two extra buttons on this model - one extra on left side above the top 'G/A' button centre row, the other below the last button ( E/B) on centre row right side.

Currently the notes on these buttons are:

Left side Pull - C sharp

Push - F

Right side: Pull - High D

Push - High C

My question is - do people re-tune / replace these for different notes, or do they just leave them as they are? Obviously it comes down to personal preference etc but I'm curious to know what others do with these extra buttons.

Michael.

I'm restoring a rosewood 32 key Lacenal anglo and am now at the tuning stage. After having tuned the reeds for the main 30 buttons I now come to the two extra buttons on this model - one extra on left side above the top 'G/A' button centre row, the other below the last button ( E/B) on centre row right side.

Left side Pull - C sharp

Push - F

Is the C# in the lower or higher octave ?

In the first case I would suggest retuning it up to E (much more useful for chords)

In the second case I would let it as it is (retuning down to E would be more hazardous)

The push F is a good choice but some folks might prefer F# (especially those playing mostly Irish tunes)

Right side: Pull - High D

Push - High C

I assume the D is duplicating the one on the push on the G row, third button, and the C is at the extreme high register.

Personally I would let it this way : the D is useful ; the C not so much but difficult to retune down.

David

Edited by david fabre

Left side Pull - C sharp

Push - F

Is the C# in the lower or higher octave ?

The push F is a good choice but some folks might prefer F# (especially those playing mostly Irish tunes)

The C# should be the same as on the right side 1st button of the accidentals row, and it'll be the only pull C# on the box, so I'd leave it well alone. The push F should be in the same octave as the pull F# on the left side G row, so I'd often retune it as a push F#.

Thanks Folks..

Stephen is right insofar as the C sharp on the pull note ( extra left hand button ) is the same note as the C sharp first button on accidental row right side.

However, it's not the only pull C sharp on the box as I've reversed the C sharp / E flat notes on this button ( first in accidental row right side ), and also put in an E flat / C sharp the other way around on the next button same row. This ( along with a low 'A' on pull, fifth button, inside row, left side ) gives a Jeffries tuning which is the setup their concertina teacher is using.

The F on the push of this extra button is indeed in the same octave as the Fsharp on the left hand G row, so I will do as you suggested Stephen and retune it to F sharp.

The other button I may well just follow David's advice and leave as is unless people have a better suggestion?

The other button I may well just follow David's advice and leave as is unless people have a better suggestion?

Leave it until you find you need another note?

However, it's not the only pull C sharp on the box as I've reversed the C sharp / E flat notes on this button ( first in accidental row right side ), and also put in an E flat / C sharp the other way around on the next button same row. This ( along with a low 'A' on pull, fifth button, inside row, left side ) gives a Jeffries tuning which is the setup their concertina teacher is using.

You didn't mention that... :rolleyes: