domed or flat

Hi, i'm making a set of buttons to replace broken bone ones on an anglo concertina and just wondering do people prefer domed buttons like on a wheatstone or flat like jeffries?

Wheatstone used both, but generally the domed keys were the later improvement and are certainly more comfortable and perhaps forgiving to play.

Dave

do people prefer domed buttons like on a wheatstone or flat like jeffries?

A very personal matter and depending on playing style.If you hit the button straight and not from an angle a flat button ought to be more comfortable at least if it isn't too sharp at the edge but just a little bit rounded. All depends on the diameter of course.Your computer keys are flat or concave (!). Would you prefer having them domed??

Wheatstone used both, but generally the domed keys were the later improvement and are certainly more comfortable and perhaps forgiving to play.

Certainly? I would not say so. I think a dome with a circular profile of the same diameter as the button is NOT comfortable and fingers slip easily. An elliptical profile may be a lot better and I believe most domed Wheatstone metal cap keys have a circular profile with larger diameter than the key and a rounded edge.But as I said - if you hit the key straight a flat top (or concave if larger diameter)likely is more comfortable.

"Forgiving to play". I don't know - depends on what you mean.If your fingering is not very exact a key with a flat top is easier to catch (but with some discomfort) and then more "forgiving" than a domed one you slip away from while forgiving your mistake by causing less pain. Among the common concertina variants I would say 6+ mm diam flat bone buttons with a rounded edge - common with some "cheap" Anglos or German models - are a lot more comfortable than the more exclusive domed "improvements".

very good. When did they start to use the domed? i have one from 1924 with domed... would it have been much earlier than that?

my daughter's pin hole aeola has domed keys, as does my own standard Aeola which is circa 1904, my Lachenal G bass & Lach Baritone are also domed. I have an earlier Wheatstone riveted reed instrument which is flat Key capped, but nothing in between.

Dave