Should I go for this DVD to learn?

I originally put this in the general discussion but realised that it would be more sensible here.

I hope I haven't done anything wrong - smile.

David

I have a 20 key C/G Anglo and am learning to play. We have a tutor in the town nearest to me but he only teaches the 40 key and I can't justify buying a new concertina.

I have found a DVD on EBay called Learn to Play Irish Concertina by John Williams.

I have two questions:

1. Is this DVD any good?

2. Is it suitable for my 20 key?

Any help would be appreciated.

David

I originally put this in the general discussion but realised that it would be more sensible here.

David

I have a 20 key C/G Anglo and am learning to play. We have a tutor in the town nearest to me but he only teaches the 40 key and I can't justify buying a new concertina.

I have found a DVD on EBay called Learn to Play Irish Concertina by John Williams.

I have two questions:

1. Is this DVD any good?

David

Just looked it up on Amazon, apparently it teaches 20 and 30 button and the disc has quite avarage sounding reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Play-Irish-Concertina-DVD/dp/B000929US2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1296000322&sr=8-1

David

I have two questions:

1. Is this DVD any good?

David

Sad that someone will only tutor 40 key.

David

I have two questions:

1. Is this DVD any good?

David

Well that is what he told me in December. I have been thinking about re-approaching him and asking if he could at least give me a couple of sessions on handling, finguring and bellow control. These types of topics should be general, I would have thought.

David

One suggestion, if you <ever> think you might want to learn to play with the fingerings of Noel Hill, I'd suggest that you seek out a teacher already familiar with Noel's technique.

I also started out with the John Williams DVD tutor and got to where I could play a considerable number of tunes on the instrument since I already had the repertoire on Uilleann pipes and flute.

The first time I went to Noel's Oregon workshop in 2005, I had to spend the whole week, and also the next two months relearning the instrument around Noel's method. This was quite frustrating and could have been avoided if I had started out with his fingerings.

The differences aren't that major, but enough that switching can be a challenge.

Edited by eskin

David

I have two questions:

1. Is this DVD any good?

David

Well that is what he told me in December. I have been thinking about re-approaching him and asking if he could at least give me a couple of sessions on handling, finguring and bellow control. These types of topics should be general, I would have thought.

David

there is no excuse for only tutoring 40 key. i am sorry, but the basis of all anglo systems is the 20 button... everything is just an extension of that. i agree there is only so far you can go with 20 buttons, but i would never turn someone away, but instead show them over time why it would be worth their time investing in a more capable instrument. there are still some basic lessons to learn on the 20 button, like the in and out nature of the instrument and how to play chords that could get you through the first year as you save up.

One suggestion, if you <ever> think you might want to learn to play with the fingerings of Noel Hill, I'd suggest that you seek out a teacher already familiar with Noel's technique.

I also started out with the John Williams DVD tutor and got to where I could play a considerable number of tunes on the instrument since I already had the repertoire on Uilleann pipes and flute.

The first time I went to Noel's Oregon workshop in 2005, I had to spend the whole week, and also the next two months relearning the instrument around Noel's method. This was quite frustrating and could have been avoided if I had started out with his fingerings.

The differences aren't that major, but enough that switching can be a challenge.

i totally agree with you here, but not everyone likes noel's system, plans on learning it, or has the money to get to one of his workshops. although i wish i had gone to noel's camp my first year (instead of second year) of playing, i don't wish i had never learned from john's dvd. i learned enough from his video and other resources to know my way around the instrument.

perhaps i like doing things the hard way, but i believe that relearning something from new perspective is more valuable than knowing only

one way to do something.

my recommendation for the original poster would be to get the DVD, take lessons with his local player, and learn more about noel's system and what it has to offer. then, it would be prudent to decide what path they would like to take, even it is a path not well trodden. personally, like you, i think noel's system is very clear, concise and extensible, but others may disagree with us. shopping for a system is like shopping for an instrument--the more you try, the more you realize which fits you best.

john's dvd is a great way to get started, and can help you get a nice, introductory repertoire.