Snowflakes are falling

Alan Day

Very evokative. Listening to it, I could almost envision happy children skating on frozen ponds while their parents sip on mulled wine on the nearby christmas market...

almost, hadn't it snowed so hard during the last couple of days I can replace my fence posts with broken snow shovel handles now. So much for winter romance!

No, just kidding. It really wasn't that bad. Thanks, St. peter, no, you don't need to prove to me now what a *really* bad winter is. I was just joking! :blink:

very nice tune Indeed! Has a flair of Vienna coffee house music to me. Do you happen to have it written out somewhere?

Very evokative. Listening to it, I could almost envision happy children skating on frozen ponds while their parents sip on mulled wine on the nearby christmas market...

almost, hadn't it snowed so hard during the last couple of days I can replace my fence posts with broken snow shovel handles now. So much for winter romance!

No, just kidding. It really wasn't that bad. Thanks, St. peter, no, you don't need to prove to me now what a *really* bad winter is. I was just joking! :blink:

very nice tune Indeed! Has a flair of Vienna coffee house music to me. Do you happen to have it written out somewhere?

Thanks for your posting,sadly no written music, the tunes are made up in my head and that is where I drag them from when I play them.

Will Fly my guitar playing partner is threatening to make a book of my tunes with the chords , but he has a number of projects to finish off first.

Al

As I have been trapped here by snow for a few days I have been working on this (I hope) pretty little tune.

"Snowflakes are falling" Waltz

Al B)

I really got the drift there.... and the picture of the snowman at the very end,lighting up his pipe for a relaxing smoke! Or maybe it was a Hamlet... after the rumbustious kids had been called in for their tea :) :)

BTW - Fen skating has already started ... wot abaht a skating concertina player...........

www.fenskating.co.uk

http://www.gileslandscapes.co.uk/fenland-ice-skating.aspx

Which begs the question, as I am not a tech-ie, is there no successful "recognition" computer software available in this day and age that would transcribe at least the single line melody; and the chording and harmonies would be filled in as seen fit? It does seem a shame to lose these lovely whimsical melodies that come from peoples heads and hands but are never made permanent in "dots"; only passed on in oral traditions, as it were. Or is there an attribution question to get involved with??

Michelle Horner SE Wis

Which begs the question, as I am not a tech-ie, is there no successful "recognition" computer software available in this day and age that would transcribe at least the single line melody; and the chording and harmonies would be filled in as seen fit? It does seem a shame to lose these lovely whimsical melodies that come from peoples heads and hands but are never made permanent in "dots"; only passed on in oral traditions, as it were. Or is there an attribution question to get involved with??

Michelle Horner SE Wis

Actually, I know about software that harmonizes melodies, but harmonization is a "play-it-safe-but-boring" or "find-a-witty-solution-that-no-software-will-ever-come-up-with" thingie. In the beginning of the tune, Alan has a four-bar phrase in which he repeats one measure three times but harmonizes the whole thing with a chromatic run (G-G#-G-F#) that makes it interesting but unpredictable. Thus, I have my doubts whether such software would catch anything but the obvious (but normally not very interesting) harmonizations.

As for recognizing and automatically transcribing music - haven't heard about such a thing yet (at least not of the useful variation; music played on "real" instruments is way too complicated for even sophisticated computers to untangle), but my guess is that a musician who'd be interested in getting his stuff out without wanting to write it down manually would probably play it on a MIDI variation instrument and let any MIDI software process it. Unfortunately for us, Alan's probably not that kind of guy... ;-)

I've done Snowflakes by ear and written it out, so far on paper only, but once I managed to figure out how to get Finale to handle repitition bars right, I'll send it to Alan so he can distribute it (at his discretion, of course).

Edited by Ruediger R. Asche

Michelle Horner SE Wis

Thanks Michael ,it is of course in the composers interest to get it published in some way if it is good enough.

Actually, I know about software that harmonizes melodies, but harmonization is a "play-it-safe-but-boring" or "find-a-witty-solution-that-no-software-will-ever-come-up-with" thingie. In the beginning of the tune, Alan has a four-bar phrase in which he repeats one measure three times but harmonizes the whole thing with a chromatic run (G-G#-G-F#) that makes it interesting but unpredictable. Thus, I have my doubts whether such software would catch anything but the obvious (but normally not very interesting) harmonizations.

As for recognizing and automatically transcribing music - haven't heard about such a thing yet (at least not of the useful variation; music played on "real" instruments is way too complicated for even sophisticated computers to untangle), but my guess is that a musician who'd be interested in getting his stuff out without wanting to write it down manually would probably play it on a MIDI variation instrument and let any MIDI software process it. Unfortunately for us, Alan's probably not that kind of guy... ;-)

I've done Snowflakes by ear and written it out, so far on paper only, but once I managed to figure out how to get Finale to handle repitition bars right, I'll send it to Alan so he can distribute it (at his discretion, of course).

"Your a better man than I Gunga Din" Ruediger my writing out of tunes is similar to my French pronunciation where the French prefer me to speak in English, as they have more chance of understanding what I am saying.

I am OK for you to post it on here when you have completed it.

The run you refer to is what started this tune off,I had to find something with that run in it, after finding it.

Thanks again

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Ruediger R Asche has kindly transcribed the dots from my recording.I tried to add his name to the music as a thank you but my computer would not allow it.He has put in a lot of work for me and for those of you who like dots to work from and I thank him on your behalf and showing me what my tune looks like in print.

Al