Memories of Mel Dean / Old Hat Dance Band

I posted this on the froots forum and Howard Jones suggested I try here too!

I'm keen to hear from anyone who knew my dad Mel Dean, English concertina player with the Old Hat Dance Band, Old Swan Band and, if my research serves me correctly, briefly the Etchingham Steam Band.

Having lost my dad in 1995 I've since found a love of folk music of various kinds (not sure I appreciated it enough at all the festivals I went to as a kid in the 80's/90's!). Now I'm pushing 30 I'm keen to know more about my dad from the people who knew him through his love - music.

Any pictures/stories/memories would be very welcome! You can send me a message or email cleansedbyfloods@hotmail.com

Mel played Anglo. 'English' in the original post probably refers to the style of music he played, or even his nationality - an easy confusion. He sang as well; I recall a very strong performance of 'Grace Darling'. He is still remembered with a lot of affection and I'm sure that people who knew him better than I did will be happy to contribute their memories once word gets out that Olly is interested.

Katie Howson had the Anglo for a while; I'm not sure where it is now.

Best wishes,

Roger

You're quite right Roger...I meant he was English and played concertina :-)

Indeed Chris he did play trombone, I'd forgotten that, thanks for the reminder!

Micheal - what's the Hefts and Blades Ceilidh Club? Is it still in existence?

Edited by Olly Dean

Olly.

I think it's brilliant that you're doing this research. I only met your father tangentially, but, other places to search are Mudcat, and Facebook.

There are certainly friends of mine (on Facebook) that would have worked with your Dad.

Good luck with your quest. Us folkies aren't such a bad bunch really!

Edited by Ralph Jordan

You're quite Roger...I meant he was English and played concertina :-)

Indeed Chris he did play trombone, I'd forgotten that, thanks for the reminder!

Micheal - what's the Hefts and Blades Ceilidh Club? Is it still in existence?

Hi Olly

It was at The Highcliffe (now relaunched as The Greystones) and then The Brincliffe Oaks (The Brinks) in Nether Edge. Sadly it closed in the 1990s as that 'boom' peaked and ran out of steam as people got older and othe responsibilities..

Mel also came down to some of the post Sheffield Morris sessions at Fagans and always added to the fun.

best wishes

Mike

PS I agree with Ralph, if you haven't alrqady, go on Mudcat and Froots web sites and ask Rod Stradling's Mustrad site.

Edited by michael sam wild

Never had the pleasure of meeting him, though I knew his playing from the bands he played in. Back in the '70s there was a folk scandal sheet published in London under the name Scandabroad by (if memory serves me correctly) Sheila Miller. People's names were lightly disguised in a hopefully funny way (so for instance I was Hiss Timid - I did say hopefully). Your dad seemed to crop up a lot under the name Mel O'Deon ...

Chris

Olly.

I think it's brilliant that you're doing this research. I only met your father tangentially, but, other places to search are Mudcat, and Facebook.

There are certainly friends of mine (on Facebook) that would have worked with your Dad.

Good luck with your quest. Us folkies aren't such a bad bunch really!

Yes, Olly, People like the fiddler Paul Burgess, who has been with the Old Swan Band, since its inception, and who would have known your dad, are on Facebook and can be contacted via Facebook. It's easy to join Facebook, if you are not already a member.

Chris

Hi Olly,

I was at 'Melodeons at Witney' this weekend, and your father's name came up when Katie Howson mentioned it onstage in the tutors' concert.

I never knew him personally but he means a great deal to me, since Mel Dean was the first person I ever saw play Anglo concertina (he sang as well, but not at the same time), at Whitby Folk festival in 1977. Hearing wonderful, bouncy dance music coming from such a tiny box of tricks, started my love affair with the anglo; I bought one shortly afterwards and it went on to become one of the cornerstones of my professional career. I still remember that concert at Whitby - it was life-changing!

All the best with your research,

Brian

At the risk of being really pedantic...Paul Burgess joined Old Swan in 1979. That must have been around the time that Mel's short stay with them came to an end.

Here is a link to a webpage listing all the Old Swan Band's recordings and their personnel line-ups. Paul Burgess first appeared in 1981 on their album Gamesters, Pickpockets and Harlots.

Chris

Hi Olly.

Have been digging around in my tape archives, and have found a session with the Old Hat Band which I recorded in 1993 at the BBC Maida Vale studios for the Andy Kershaw show.. Any use?

E Mail me at eloisecd@hotmail.co.uk

Regards Ralphie

PS. Katy Howson has posted a few pics including one from the Beeb session on Facebook.

Old age means that I don't remember it at all!

Edited by Ralph Jordan