Help With A Name

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

od Bradford on Avon

This probably wasn't a typo!

Yes, it was, I'm afraid. It should of course have been odd Bradford on Avon. Downright weird Bradford on Avon would be nearer the mark. Simon Green, the well-known writer of fantasy fiction, has set one book (Drinking Midnight Wine) entirely within Bradford on Avon. His phrase is appropriate, "Bradford on Avon, a town with too much history for its own good".

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Simon Green, the well-known writer of fantasy fiction, has set one book (Drinking Midnight Wine) entirely within Bradford on Avon. His phrase is appropriate, "Bradford on Avon, a town with too much history for its own good".

Is that why you don't want him at your sessions? ;)

Indeed, but the pub already has a session 4 times a month which is exclusively green, and very fast to boot. Fine by them, fine by me. We'll stay non-green.

Some of the Green stuff can be really lovely when it's not too fast.

Martin Hayes on the fiddle, for example,

... or Jean Butler dancing a hornpipe or slip jig. :)

How about "George"?

... When in doubt about naming something -- anything, -- I find that's a good default.  Slips easily off the tongue   :D

Did you ever go for a curry with Paul Davies ? He always used to call waiters in Indian restaurants "George".

Nope. Sorry I didn't.

How about "George"?

... When in doubt about naming something -- anything, -- I find that's a good default.  Slips easily off the tongue   :D

Did you ever go for a curry with Paul Davies ? He always used to call waiters in Indian restaurants "George".
Nope. Sorry I didn't.

Probably just as well, the two of you would have sat there all night calling everybody George !

How about "George"?

Nope. Sorry I didn't.
Probably just as well, the two of you would have sat there all night calling everybody George !

Not if they already had names of their own, I wouldn't.

... I'm reminded of a particular Chinese waiter named Eddie... who refused to take any food away from the table. Wouldn't bring the check until every bite was eaten. :P