From accordion to concertina

Koko

Thanks for the link to the post. When I was looking a bit deeper into the forum, I've found some interesting things about the instrument, that are not really encouraging...

First : is there NO next-level concertina under 4000$?

Then, I've found this interesting stuff from a member of the forum :

But the Elise is simply missing some notes in each octave

That's a problem... A big problem :s

Moreover, the 34 keys only is a bit discouraging... I wouldn't like to buy a draft instrument.

Finally, I see a new problem : duet concertinas can go up to 70 or more keys. Hey, if I have to change my instrument, it's not to get another accordion!

So, back the begining. Finally, the anglo system could be more interesting to me, but I fear being stuck to folk music.

There is no great mid-level Hayden duet for under $4000, but there is the Stagi Hayden which is not a great concertina but is ok, has the full 46 keys and is under $1000 new and less than that used when used ones appear. Button Box has a used one now for $875. And as someone mentioned, Wim Wakker of Concertina Connection has announced plans for a mid-priced Hayden for 2011 or so which I would guess will sell in the $1800-$2500 range.

And remember the other duet systems too, Maccann and Crane. I don't know much about the Maccann system, but you can get a good restored vintage 48-button Lachenal Crane for $1500 or so - much, much better than a Stagi in my opinion.

See Ivan Viehoff's article that was mentioned earlier for a good comparison of the different duet systems and concertinas.

Well, I know now that a duet can be played like an accordion, and so can play quite the same stuff as the accordion. What about the english? What can we, and can't we play with it?

Thanks for your replies

Tristan

Well, I know now that a duet can be played like an accordion, and so can play quite the same stuff as the accordion. /quote]

It's not just 'like'. I can play written music better than I could have done on my accordion, on an instrument a third of the size yet with a much classier tone.

People said good stuff. My advice is similar. If you play Piano Accordion, then either a Duet or an English would be good. IF you played a button accordion with a different note on push or pull, then go for an Anglo.

If you're used to making chords on your own on a PA (somehow) then a duet would be good. All in all bellows will determine what you could look into, IMHO.

Patrick

After playing a piano-accordion, then getting an English concertina, I found it a nice break, and a challenge. On EC, there's not the separation of left/right hands as much as there is with the PA.

I'm not an expert on either instrument, but I can say from experience that I would make the same choice. Though, one of these days, I might like an anglo concertina, too!

Had someone heard of frattelli croiso concertinas? because looks like I can get a cheap english 40 keys one, but at 150€, I'm feeling a bit scared... Moreover, I thought that this factory closed its doors last year.

Tristan

Had someone heard of frattelli croiso concertinas? because looks like I can get a cheap english 40 keys one, but at 150€, I'm feeling a bit scared... Moreover, I thought that this factory closed its doors last year.

The Parisian firm of Fratelli Crosio did indeed close down, towards the end of 2008. They manufactured superb accordions of very high quality, but the instruments being offered for sale with the firm's name on today look more like cheap imports from China.

You won't get a decent English concertina for 150€ - the only "entry level" English worth considering is the Jackie, which you should be able to find for 285€.

Juliette Daum is a wonderful player and the English concertina was designed to be played from printed

music so its keyboard has a very logical layout that you haven't understood yet. If you buy a beginners

instrument like a Jackie then you should be aware that they are not real concertinas. They use

accordion reeds which means that they don't have a real concertina sound.